Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC but we can't agree on a name.

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:59 AM
  • 8 Replies

DH and I are TTC at the moment. when we've been TTC in the past we always picked a name out while we were TTC. All of our children have pretty traditional names. For example our eldest is Heather. I like plain and simple names. 

He thinks this baby should have a none traditional name. After spending time in Afghanistan he  wants to give our baby a middle eastern name. 

Fatima for a girl and Adham for a boy. 

I just don't agree. I want to put my foot down but I don't want to hurt his feelings or come across like a racist. 

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Kuna
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

What if you both brainstorm each of you and write down maybe 5 or so names that were OK for you...then let them "sit" for a couple of days without talking about it and come back to this subject again?

If this does not work, let me tell you, I hated the name my husband suggested for our son, but I have to say that after a lot of searching and thinking, I found that this name was not so bad. We ended up giving my son my husband's choice for his first name and my choice for his middle name. Now, my son is 10 and over all those years, I felt that those names really fit well. If he ever feels he does not like his first name, my son can still ask his friends and family to call him by his middle name (as my mom did).

thebride
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:16 PM

Thank you, that's a great suggestion and thank you for sharing. It could be worse he could want to name the baby Adolf or Hashtag. 

Quoting Kuna:

What if you both brainstorm each of you and write down maybe 5 or so names that were OK for you...then let them "sit" for a couple of days without talking about it and come back to this subject again?

If this does not work, let me tell you, I hated the name my husband suggested for our son, but I have to say that after a lot of searching and thinking, I found that this name was not so bad. We ended up giving my son my husband's choice for his first name and my choice for his middle name. Now, my son is 10 and over all those years, I felt that those names really fit well. If he ever feels he does not like his first name, my son can still ask his friends and family to call him by his middle name (as my mom did).

DelilahsMom4108
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:19 PM
Honestly I'd rather hurt his feelings a bit than hate my childs name forever... I'm sure he'll understand that it's such a huge deal to you that he'll get over the hurt fairly quick. You should definitely find a name that makes you both happy
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:20 PM
Why don't you worry about it after you get pregnant?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:22 PM
As other posters have stated, I would just be honest with him. The name needs to work for both of you. If it doesn't work for one or the other, that's that and the name should be thrown out.
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:24 PM
Love this

Quoting Kuna:

thebride
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:28 PM

We just have this tradition of  thinking up names after love making. I guess traditions die hard. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Why don't you worry about it after you get pregnant?

kelly617
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:35 PM

I think baby naming should be a compromise...if one parent doesn't like a name it should be off the table
you BOTH need to like the names

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)