Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you have been grateful or upset? ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies

This weekend I took my kids to a local restaurant that has a play area. There was a lady with a toddler who was having an all out fit over putting on his shoes to leave.

The mom was obviously pregnant and had a cast on her arm from fingertip to armpit and a sling.

I walked over and picked up the shoes and asked the little boy if I could wear his shoes since he didn't want them. He kind of looked at me. I handed him my shoes and told him I would trade.

He stopped throwing a fit and looked at me like I was crazy but after a few minutes he let me put his shoes on him.

Would you have been happy for the help? Or angry that I interfered?

Before I interfered this kid has been throwing his fit for at least ten minutes.  The mom was in tears and obviously in pain.  She wasn't able to get down to the floor on her own to get the kid.  He had climbed under one of the toys.  At no point did I actually touch him until I helped him with his shoes.

She was very happy for the help.  Several other parents just looked at her and shook their heads.  After she thanked me and left with her kid I overheard some other lady tell whoever was with her that no one had better ever touch her kid like that.  Just made me wonder.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have thought the gesture was sweet and thanked you.

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM
Happy but I can see some being offended.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

in that situation I would have been grateful

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM
Very happy lol
lalalamama
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM
I'd have been grateful for the help.
kmeow
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Hmm. I guess I'd probably just think you were odd.
angeleyes16
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:17 AM
I'd be a bit embarrassed but grateful.
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:17 AM

I like to handle my own children. They need to learn to do as I say. While others may welcome the help, I think asking first would have been better than just walking up and taking over. 

LawNOrderMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
That was very nice of you. The only thing I might have done differently would have said to the mom beforehand something to the effect of "can I help?" because otherwise what you did was fantastic and I'm sure she was grateful.
Rachael-Dawn
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:18 AM
Very grateful for the help. If you had been snotty about it I could see someone getting upset but I think you did a beautiful job.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)