Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think strollers deserve the same rights as wheelchairs?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:20 AM
  • 259 Replies
4 moms liked this

Mom Wants Stroller-Users to Get Special Privileges in Public

stroller on subway

So I've heard that a mom named Michelle Parker in Chicago has started a petition to get strollers treated like wheelchairs on public transit. Which sounds ludicrous, right? People in wheelchairs are disabled; moms with strollers are not. Yet at the risk of ruffling all those stroller haters out there, I've gotta say I'm fully behind this petition with all my Maclaren-pushing might.

Here's why: Currently, in Chicago where this petition originated, moms with strollers are treated like second-class citizens. For instance, Parker was inspired to start this petition after a bus driver demanded she fold up her stroller once she'd boarded the bus. Which sounds fine, at least in theory. Strollers are space hogs. But the reality is quite different.

Think about it: if you're a mom who's boarding a bus with a baby, it's dang hard to take your baby out, hold him, fold up your stroller, then hold your stroller and your baby and your diaper bag and everything else you need to carry (add a bag of groceries to that mix and we are in serious trouble).

More from The Stir: I Bribed My 4-Year-Old to Stop Using a Stroller

This insane juggling act is even worse if you've got an infant, since they can't use a small, collapsible umbrella stroller until around four to six months. So you're stuck with one of those honking big ones. Unless you're husband's on the bus with you or a friendly stranger pitches in, there's no way you'll collapse that stroller on your own. And then, where do you put it? By now, of course, the bus is already lurching ahead, since unless how patiently he waits for someone in a wheelchair to get all nice and situated, he couldn't care less about you as you try to steady yourself, your stroller, your belongings, and hang onto your bobble-headed baby for dear life.

So in a way, I think moms with strollers ARE kinda disabled. And as such, I think they have a right to that spacious priority seating up front on the bus, where they can avoid this whole challenge of trying to fold up their stroller at all. Sure, I think the truly disabled and the elderly should get those seats first, but moms should have dibs on them if they're free.

There's so much stroller hatred out there, but you know what I say to them? Try carrying around an infant and everything else an infant needs in a stroller for a week and see how you manage -- squeezing through doors, getting up and down stairs, and yes, on the bus -- then come talk to me. This is a Rosa Parks-style moment for stroller pushers, and it's time to refuse to get pushed to the back of the bus!

Do you think strollers deserve the same rights as wheelchairs?

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

uh.....no

MicheleJM
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:23 AM
4 moms liked this

I've folded up strollers in my day on public transit or I used a back infant carrier. So...no.  One can have the stroller folded before she gets on the train or bus.  That's what I did.  They take up too much room and they get in the way of everyone else.

kmeow
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:24 AM
This is dumb.
PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:24 AM
5 moms liked this

She thinks moms with strollers ARE "kinda disabled?"

Ohhhhhh...this will go over like a fart in church. 

Do I feel they deserve the same rights? What little smidgen of feeling the possibility is there has now been revoked by me after this article.

SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:27 AM
No
That's why they make them small and compact and easily to fold
To fit into tight spaces
Unless it's a handicap stroller
You can't remove the hold from that

I don't know how anyone would want to keep a stroller open while getting on a train
Raised in NYC and a stroller has no place on a NYC subway
SerpentsKiss
by Erica on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:27 AM
10 moms liked this
My daughter requires a special stroller due to her medical equipment. It does not fold up easily. Her stroller carries her travel vent, suction machine, oxygen tank, ambu bag, and pulse ox machine.

I don't think all strollers deserve the same rights as wheelchairs. Some of us do have special circumstances though.
Liastele
by Lauren on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:29 AM
9 moms liked this

If you cannot fold your stroller, use a baby carrier like a Moby wrap or something. Problem solved. You can now board the bus efficiently. 

And no, I do not have a degree in rocket science.

lilblu399
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:29 AM
She's an idiot. You buy a quick or easy to fold stroller, there are tons out there. There are folks that ride the bus in my area, some have had double strollers and two kids and got on the bus. I've done my share of stroller work on the bus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paigesmommy5264
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:29 AM
I have had 4 kids, always took the bus.. Always folded the stroller before boarding the bus..
Actually just took the bus to walmart today with my ds, stroller, purse and add a bag on the way back.. Its not that difficult..
tinybluemoon
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
No. Even when I had four under two did I think strollers were in the same catagory as wheelchairs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)