Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I didn't register our car for TWO YEARS!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

I have absolutely no idea how this happened. I'm a complete idiot. 

My husband took my car out of town so I was driving my daughter's car. (DH's car is a stick. I haven't learned to drive it yet.) Anyway, I went grocery shopping and I loaded everything in and closed the trunk. That's when I saw it. The 2013 sticker on the tag. I thought that couldn't possibly be right. The other stickers must've fallen off or something!  (Yeah, ok.) I grabbed the registration and looked at the date. Son of a bitch!  How in the hell did that even happen???? 

This morning I headed down to the license plate renewal agency hoping it would be an easy process. Let me just pay whatever I owe and get the hell out of there. So embarrassing. When it was my turn, I went up and told the woman what happened. She smiled and said she'd give me a pass this time. 3 minutes later and I was walking out with a new tag w/ 2016 sticker, updated registration, and it only cost me $233!!!  I know it should have been SO much more and I'm so thankful that she did that for me. Now to make sure that NEVER happens again. 

(Just to clarify on the cost: When you renew your tag, you also have to pay the vehicle taxes at the same time. So that's the registration fee plus vehical taxes for the year.)

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:56 AM
Yeah I don't pay that much for tags nor property fee at all. Just for the tags is $56. Plus taxes which is $60. It's a used van. Haha wait I don't own no property. And every one's tags are like that where I live.
sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:56 AM

I have had moments like that lol. Usually it's the water bill. I realized last Friday (when I got a notice) that I hadn't paid the last two cycles. Our area doesn't have auto-pay and only bills every three months which means it was around the holidays and then just recently. I couldn't tell you what happened to the bills or if I even opened them. 

Every year I end up registering the car on the last day. I know it needs to be done and it just gets put off until I have to go do it. 

StarLight23
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Wow. Thank goodness you didn't get in trouble with the cops and have your vehicle taken away.

:)

DarksMama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Wow, did YOU luck out! At least you went and got it taken care of. Maybe mark your renewal date on your calendar in block letters so you don't miss it again? Or set a reminder in your phone or something. You are SO lucky you didn't get snagged by the cops on that one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Quoting StarLight23:

Wow. Thank goodness you didn't get in trouble with the cops and have your vehicle taken away.

:)

I know!  So many bad things could have happened here. And I would have deserved every one of them! I'm glad to have it all straightened out though. 

ArmyWife112908
by Mrs.Crane on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:08 PM
You're so lucky. In my state if you were pulled over they'll impound your car. Put a reminder in your phone for next year
TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:13 PM

I discovered I had expired plates once - 6 months overdue.  I didn't find t in the lucky way you did though....a cop told me when he pulled me over!  :-O

Though he WAS a nice cop....didn't ticket me for speeding (which was the original reason he pulled me over)...he only gave me a ticket for expired tags and told me to renew ASAP.  I think he took pity on me because when he pulled me over I had all five kids in the car and my youngest (who was 4 at the time) asked if he was going to arrest me.

PrincessPizza
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:15 PM
Mine costs $65 a year lol yours is expensive!
Mizz_Sassyfrass
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:16 PM
We only have to renew our tags every 2 yrs here in Oregon, $85.00 plus DEQ which is$21.00.
cbk_mom3
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:18 PM
I thought maybe you lived around here. Here if you are behind on property taxes you can't register your car. Therefore lots of cars go unregistered for a long time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)