Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Common Core

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:07 PM
  • 37 Replies

Whats the issues you have with it?

I personally don't understand some of the issues, but I also don't know all grades about it. I'm always asking and I've gotten some mixed opinions about it. However what I don't understand is things that they don't like tends not to have anything to do with common core. I've even had people tell me how they hate what CC did to science and history (smh).

I'm not here to defend it but I would love insight in a much larger scale on opinions on this. Also share what grade you have had dealings with it.

Ive only had K-2nd dealings with it.

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

The CC History is a joke. It blames white people for every injustice in the world. 

The CC is not on age level for most of the grades. It expects kids in K to be able to count  money and make change (stuff most of us didn't learn until 2nd grade). They also teach Math is ways that do not make any sense ansd they wonder why our kids are failing. I'm very grateful I private school and our kids do not do anything with CC.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Worst part is data collection they are doing through it. 

StoneColdKiller
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:15 PM
2 moms liked this

There is no such thing as CC History

Quoting Anonymous 1:

The CC History is a joke. It blames white people for every injustice in the world. 

The CC is not on age level for most of the grades. It expects kids in K to be able to count  money and make change (stuff most of us didn't learn until 2nd grade). They also teach Math is ways that do not make any sense ansd they wonder why our kids are failing. I'm very grateful I private school and our kids do not do anything with CC.

greenlove2013
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:15 PM
Bump
_cloudy_
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this
The worst part for me is the math. Like serious, what the fuck?! What happened to just 5-3=? They go through this huge tangent, I can't even figure out what they're trying to ask at times.
StoneColdKiller
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:16 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Worst part is data collection they are doing through it. 

This is a area Im very unfamiliar with, I have kinda heard some talk about it. And how these new standards have forced the schools to pretty much grade the teachers, but I dont fully understand this part yet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:17 PM
Common core standards say nothing about money for K (and i certainly learned about money in K. 23 years ago)

If anything, I think the CC standards for math are below what I learned in school.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Lunarprancer
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Same!

Quoting _cloudy_: The worst part for me is the math. Like serious, what the fuck?! What happened to just 5-3=? They go through this huge tangent, I can't even figure out what they're trying to ask at times.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:18 PM
It teaches kids to understand numbers better.

Just because it doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean it lack purpose.

I wish I had learned math like that.

Quoting _cloudy_: The worst part for me is the math. Like serious, what the fuck?! What happened to just 5-3=? They go through this huge tangent, I can't even figure out what they're trying to ask at times.
faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

That is curriculum complaints. Common Core is a set of standards, teachers choose how they teach those things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)