Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How a 'Last Hug' May Have Revived a Dying Baby

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:50 PM
  • 9 Replies

Kate and David Ogg were told their newborn baby was dying. (Image via YouTube)

By Neal Colgrass, Newser.com

Kate and David Ogg held onto their dying baby five years ago as a way of saying goodbye, only to find him come miraculously back to life. 

Now the media has returned to see how the family in Queensland, Australia, is doing—and apparently they’re happily raising three young children, the Telegraph reports. In fact, 5-year-old Jamie’s family kids him about how he came back from the dead and hasn’t been alive as long as his twin sister, Emily. 

"Technically, you’re two minutes older, but Emily’s been alive longer," Kate used to tell him, according to an old Today article. The story dates back to a scary day in 2010, when Jamie and Emily were born 14 weeks premature, and doctors said newborn Jamie was dying. So the parents got in bed together and cuddled with the baby.

"I wanted to meet him, and to hold him, and for him to know us," Kate told Today after it happened. “We’d resigned ourselves to the fact that we were going to lose him, and we were just trying to make the most of those last, precious moments.” 

Suddenly, Jamie’s breathing improved and hospital staff jumped in to fully revive him. 

The story highlights the partly recognized science of “kangaroo care”—that newborns receive health benefits by being held closely to a parent’s bare skin or chest. Several studies support kangaroo care, and it’s become more common in US neonatal intensive care units, the Huffington Post reports. 

No doubt the Oggs would support that: “We feel so fortunate,” says David. “We’re the luckiest people in the world.”

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 5:01 PM
I think that's the first thing the doctors and nurses need to do when a baby is born Is to put them on the moms chest.

For my kids the doctor and nurses put both my kids on my chest so they can worm up more and then put under the light thing and getting weighed And the. Back to me so I can feed them.
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Mar. 16, 2015 at 5:04 PM

They put dd on my chest but only for a sec, then they took her to clean her off.  They weighed her, wrapped her and gave her back.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I think that's the first thing the doctors and nurses need to do when a baby is born Is to put them on the moms chest. For my kids the doctor and nurses put both my kids on my chest so they can worm up more and then put under the light thing and getting weighed And the. Back to me so I can feed them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 5:30 PM
They laid both dd and ds on my chest for a few minutes and took them and cleaned them. And them back to me but they didn't wrap ds up like they did with dd.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

They put dd on my chest but only for a sec, then they took her to clean her off.  They weighed her, wrapped her and gave her back.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I think that's the first thing the doctors and nurses need to do when a baby is born Is to put them on the moms chest. For my kids the doctor and nurses put both my kids on my chest so they can worm up more and then put under the light thing and getting weighed And the. Back to me so I can feed them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 5:48 PM
Sounds incredible, but I couldn't read the article. It cuts off the right side on my phone. The app doesn't let you tilt it like the mobile site did.
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Mar. 16, 2015 at 5:53 PM
Rotate your phone =0)

Quoting Anonymous 2: Sounds incredible, but I couldn't read the article. It cuts off the right side on my phone. The app doesn't let you tilt it like the mobile site did.
AnonyMinnie
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 5:53 PM

This.
It's worlds more important for preemies as well but sadly they can't always do that at all. Mine couldn't, but he was 4 days old when I was finally able to and I did it as much as I could as I knew the benefits. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 5:59 PM
Awe. I did it alot when we came home to. I just layed under the covers with ds and breastfed him that way and the covers over his lil body.

Quoting AnonyMinnie:

This.It's worlds more important for preemies as well but sadly they can't always do that at all. Mine couldn't, but he was 4 days old when I was finally able to and I did it as much as I could as I knew the benefits. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: I think that's the first thing the doctors and nurses need to do when a baby is born Is to put them on the moms chest.

For my kids the doctor and nurses put both my kids on my chest so they can worm up more and then put under the light thing and getting weighed And the. Back to me so I can feed them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:02 PM
Doesn't work on the app. That's what I was trying to say, but I guess I didn't explain well. Must be a glitch on the app.

Quoting Lunarprancer: Rotate your phone =0)
Quoting Anonymous 2: Sounds incredible, but I couldn't read the article. It cuts off the right side on my phone. The app doesn't let you tilt it like the mobile site did.
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:49 PM
Huh. Maybe tell the Admins.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Doesn't work on the app. That's what I was trying to say, but I guess I didn't explain well. Must be a glitch on the app.

Quoting Lunarprancer: Rotate your phone =0)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)