Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't act like a creeper!

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:06 PM
  • 9 Replies

I woke up at 3am this morning when I heard my seven year old son's dog whining in the hallway. I saw that the porch lights were on, which are motion activated. I went downstairs and as I went near the front door, I could hear someone walking around the wrap around porch, toward the back of the house. I woke up my husband and we were both going downstairs when our security system sounded that there was an attempt to open the back sliding door. The system will not call the police unless the door is actually forced, but it gives us a warning if someone tries to open it while it is locked. We went back upstairs and looked out the window facing the backyard and saw three people standing in the yard. My husband went back downstairs and as he turned on the downstairs lights, I saw them take off. We called the nonemergency police line and I told them what was up, the officer said he would send the nearest officer to take a look around. The officer couldn't find anything but said he would patrol our street that night and do a drive by every hour. 

Today after work I dropped by my Aunt's to drop something off and told her what had happened. My 17 year old cousin, home from college, was in the room and halfway through the story he said "oh, that was me." A couple of weeks ago I told him that he could borrow a couple of snowboards, we said that he could just take them whenever and gave him an extra key to our shed. He was at a friend's house last night and they decided to go night snowboarding in a local valley area before all of the snow melts. He didn't have the spare key on him, so he was trying to go into the house without waking us up to get the main key. When the lights in the house turned on, his friend thought we were going to be angry that they woke us up and he just took off, so my cousin just ran after him and he didn't think to go back or call to explain the situation. My Aunt had him first apologize to us for making us nervous and she is bringing him to the police station tomorrow to apologize to the officers for wasting their time. He said he was really sorry, he didn't think that we were worried or anything. I told him don't go around rattling doors in the middle of the night and then just leave without explaining yourself! It makes you look like a burglar!

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:32 PM

BUMP!

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:36 PM

BUMP!

mes_deux_amours
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:39 PM
Wow... They could've been shot. They really need to understand that you just don't trespass on someone's property.
mes_deux_amours
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:40 PM
And your aunt offered to let them borrow your snowboards? Or did you give them a key to your shed? I'm confused about that part
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:00 PM

They weren't really trespassing, they had permission to be there, I honestly would not have cared if they hadn't been so sketchy about it.

Quoting mes_deux_amours: Wow... They could've been shot. They really need to understand that you just don't trespass on someone's property.

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:01 PM

I offered to let them borrow my snowboards, I gave my cousin a spare key to the shed so he could just go get them whenever. 

Quoting mes_deux_amours: And your aunt offered to let them borrow your snowboards? Or did you give them a key to your shed? I'm confused about that part

fiatpax
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:03 PM

that is how innocent people got shot

glad it all worked out

yikes

mes_deux_amours
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:20 PM
You thought there were people trying to break in. That's trespassing. It's not smart to enter someone property knowing they're asleep.

Quoting lenashark:

They weren't really trespassing, they had permission to be there, I honestly would not have cared if they hadn't been so sketchy about it.

Quoting mes_deux_amours: Wow... They could've been shot. They really need to understand that you just don't trespass on someone's property.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:25 PM
Did he go rattling other people's doors? Or why did you say "rattling doors"?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)