Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

holy over reaction!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies
This week is Spring Break for the schools. One of the moms from my dds class asked if I could watch her kids for her during the day this week. It's an 8 year old and a 4 year old. I guess normally dad works night shift so someone is always home with them but his schedule got changed this week because of all the people asking for time off. Anyway, she offered to pay me $150 for the week and I told her no that I would do it for free just because it would keep my 8 year old and 3 year old entertained. So today she drops them off and she's all friendly in a good mood. After lunch the kids wanted to go outside and ride bikes. DD has her new bike and old bike so both her and the other older kid had a bike to use. We didn't have an extra bike helmet but we did have DD horseback riding helmet so her friend wore that. The two younger kids I filled up the little pool and they were playing in that on the porch, which is where I was sitting. We live on a cul De sac so there's not a lot of traffic on our road and I can see the entire road from my porch. So at some point DD's friend falls off her bike and gets her elbow and knee on one side all scraped up. I cleaned it up, put some band aids on it and they went right back to playing. The dad comes to pick the kids up and I tell him about the kid falling off the bike and he she something like "now you have some battle wounds" , so I thought all was fine, he didn't seem to care.

25 minutes later I get a call from the mom asking why I wasn't outside with the kids while they were riding bike. I told her I was, I was on the porch with the little kids. Then she's like "I can't even believe you let her ride without a proper helmet". I said she had a horse riding helmet on which is made to take a harder and higher fall than a bike so she was good". Then she's like "we don't let our children ride bikes unless we're right beside them" I said "they're 8 I'm not running behind them". She starts going off about how since I'm not responsible enough to watch her kid she'll find someone else I was like oookkk. Well dad just called and said they can't find anyone else and he pretty much begged me to watch the kids. He apologized for his wife and I told him I would think it over and call him back after I get my kids in bed. I just don't know. I get it's last minute to find someone else but at the same time, mom is freaking crazy!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ejkdmom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Take the money if you are gonna do it. At least you can get yourself something pretty when it is all done.
Jadegirl1819
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:15 PM

Wow.  I sure as heck wouldn't watch them.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:18 PM
That's what DH said, tell them if I'm gonna do it now I want the money they offered. I just feel bad after I told them I would do it for free, but after her craziness over falling off a bike I think I just might.

Quoting ejkdmom: Take the money if you are gonna do it. At least you can get yourself something pretty when it is all done.
Sharbear42371
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Oh hell no,  I would tell her you will do it for $250.00 cash due upon drop off tomorrow.  If she doesn't pay in the morning refuse to keep them.

Sharbear42371
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

oops maybe 200.00.  cost went up because of her shitty attitude.  You know, pita tax.

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I pity the dad...

CheerioHolder
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:23 PM
If my kids had fun playing with them, I would keep watching them.
Allebas
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:24 PM

Oh good grief! She sounds like a helicopter parent! The $150 for the week is VERY CHEAP for 2 kids! Where I live, she would be paying at least double that just for the one week! Yeah I would call back and say, "I've thought about it, and I will watch them, but I want to get paid the $150 you offered in the beginning." You pretty much have them at your mercy since they cannot find anyone else to do it, and I seriously doubt any one else would have accepted no payment like you did in the beginning! Besides, you deserve to be paid for watching their kids. Your time is worth money IMO. Please come back and let us know what happens! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:24 PM

I think you've been given an "out" in this situation and should take it. If you do decide to continue watching them, then I hope the week goes easy & fast for you!  :)

J.M.O.
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:26 PM
Ugh I wouldn't want to watch them because of their mom but I would because they are stuck. I'd take the money though :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)