Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Appropriate Portion Sizes for 5 and 6 Year Olds?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:24 PM
  • 7 Replies

Mobile Photo

Is this an appropriate amount of food for 5 and 6 year olds?

I ask because my two boys are soooooo skinny. Two years ago they were diagnosed with gluten and dairy allergies, so they were a little stunted in their growth/weight gain, but I still feel like they are too skinny. My 6 year old weighs 42lbs and my 5 year old weighs 36lbs. If they are naturally skinny that's fine, but I want to make sure I am feeding them enough.
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tinkerxbell
by Danger Will Robinson on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:27 PM

That looks like plenty. How tall are they? My son is on the short side for his age. I think he's about 41 or 42 inches, and is 37 pounds. He will be 6 in two weeks. He isn't underweight.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:27 PM

I was told for ages 4 to 8 it is 1200 Calories a day for a girl and 1400 for a boy.  That being said kids with muscle tone issues or other health impairemtns the ranges may vary.  In those cases it is 12-15 kCal for every Cm.  So a 4ft tall child would need a min of 1464 Calories a day for the low end and 1830 for the high end to meet individual needs.  My son has CP and a fat absorbtion issue and needs the higher calories for his age and size. 

desertlvn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:28 PM
Looks fine.....

Then again both my 6 yr old and my 8 yr old weigh 40-45lbs. Nothing wrong with little.
mona165
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:28 PM
Wow. And I thought my daughter was skinny, except she is tall she is turning 3 on September and weighs 30lbs, my youngest is 1 and weighs 23lbs. They eat good, but at times I feel they are too skinny, and they eat that amount except the banana, I ussually wait about an hour after they eat and then give them grapes, bananas, oranges, like a snack or cookies and chips, but mostly fruit, I don't really buy junk food...

:/
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:30 PM

About the size of the childs fist.

mary716
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:34 PM
I don't do portions for the kids, I put food on their plate if they get full, they're full. My 11 year old is tall and super skinny but the kid can pack in the food like no one's business. He had 3 burritos at dinner tonight. The doctor said he's perfectly healthy, the largest appetite is common in preteen boys and he's not concerned (had to add that before I got bashed about my son eating so much)
smartmommy1050
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:39 PM
Thanks everyone...normally they will eat everything on their plates, and my 6 year old will sometimes either want seconds of something or tell me he's hungry again 20 minutes later. If he does the latter he either gets to pick fruit, applesauce, or a veggie but he usually isn't happy with those choices...should I be offering him something else?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)