Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was this guest out of line? Or did DH over react?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 72 Replies

Dh's coworker and his family came over for dinner tonight.

After dinner was served and I sat down, the kids started to dig in.  DH's coworker said loudly in a very stern voice to my kids "What are you doing? Nobody has said grace have they?"

My kids all looked very confused.  My oldest, who is 6 looked at me and said "Grace?" 

DH's coworker snapped at MY child in MY house, "don't get smart now"

I just sat there shocked with my mouth literally hanging open.

DH stood up and said calmly but without much room for discussion "It's time you left.  Now."

I got up and ushered the kids into the livingroom and then brought them their plates.  Dh is fuming. 

My 6yr old wasn't trying to be smart, he doesn't know what saying grace is, we aren't christian and we don't pray, our kids have never been taught those things.  I'm shocked a guest thought they could dictate a religious "ritual" in our home.  Our reprimand our kids.  

How would you have reacted?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
XoXo.Nikki.XoXo
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:37 PM
4 moms liked this
I think you guys handled it the right way. Like you, we are not religious and I would not put up with a guest speaking to my child that way. If he wants to say grace, fine. He can say grace while everyone else is eating. But don't try and force it on my family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Why does the craziest things always happen on here. I never hear about things like this in real life.
sadee456
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:38 PM
Your dh did the right thing. Those are not the kind of people you're gonna be sad to lose.
chickensmommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:38 PM
I think I would have done the same thing.

We are Catholic but I would never expect guests to pray with us.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not have cared at all if he had prayed, and would probably have told the kids to quiet down and wait respectfully.  Trying to force it on someone in their own home just rubbed us the wrong way,

Quoting XoXo.Nikki.XoXo: I think you guys handled it the right way. Like you, we are not religious and I would not put up with a guest speaking to my child that way. If he wants to say grace, fine. He can say grace while everyone else is eating. But don't try and force it on my family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:40 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm different than you and I wouldn't have froze. Dh asking him to leave would be the nicest thing said.
l.a.m.b
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:41 PM
2 moms liked this
I would of said that grace died 30 years ago lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:42 PM

I am a christian and do pray before we eat and I would think that was rude.  It's not their place to force a grace in your home.  He could say one quietly, or he and his family could say one together but you and your family do not need to be involved in their belief and practice. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:42 PM

lol I love that movie

Quoting l.a.m.b: I would of said that grace died 30 years ago lol

l.a.m.b
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:43 PM
Whenever I hear the words say grace I think of that movie

Quoting Anonymous 1:

lol I love that movie

Quoting l.a.m.b: I would of said that grace died 30 years ago lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)