Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did the teacher go too far?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:04 PM
  • 565 Replies
2 moms liked this

There is a seven year old boy in my son's music class at school who will not keep his shoes on. He is told at least once a day to go get his shoes on, sometimes he refuses and has to be put in timeout until he puts them on. They aren't too small or uncomfortable or anything, his mom says he just doesn't like wearing shoes. The teacher has explained to him many times why he needs his shoes on. It is important because someone could step or drop something on his foot and he would get hurt or if the fire alarm goes off, they need to get out right away and he will have to go outside in his socks.

Last wednesday the fire alarm goes off and after the kids were lined up and about to leave the room, the boy says "wait! My shoes!" They were back under his seat across the room. The teacher did not know if it was a drill or not, so he said "sorry, should have had them on, we're going out." It was a warm day considering we live in upstate NY, high 40s. They literally walked outside on the blacktop, where there is no snow, took attendance, and then they were told to bring the kids back in, probably a minute outdoors. The whole time the boy was hysterical about his socks being wet and cold. As soon as they went back in the teacher got him dry socks and said "that is why you need to keep your shoes on. I am sorry that you were uncomfortable, but the fire alarm means drop everything and leave or we could get hurt, fire spreads quickly and we need to get out. We do not have time for putting back on sneakers." Now the kid's mom is flipping out that he took him out without shoes, saying she is going to the school board and if needed, the media. She wants the teacher to face discipline for it. What is your opinion?

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:06 PM
77 moms liked this
Her snowflake was wrong. The media will laugh at her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:06 PM
Woukd it realky have been that long of a wait to run and get his shoes?
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:06 PM
97 moms liked this
Well cold, wet feet are better than being burned up in a fire. I agree with the teacher.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:07 PM
6 moms liked this
Lol I'd tell her go ahead. That's a whole new level of snowflake syndrome.
Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:07 PM
11 moms liked this
I think the teacher did the right thing. Mom needs to tell her son to keep his shoes on at school. He can take them off at home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:07 PM
11 moms liked this

He won't take his shoes off in class again, will he...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:08 PM
19 moms liked this
And then wait for the kid who wants their sweater or their backpack or their water bottle?

Quoting Anonymous 2: Woukd it realky have been that long of a wait to run and get his shoes?
Anonymous17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:08 PM
2 moms liked this
The teacher is right.
MooseMomma
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Guess mom should have worked harder to keep his shoes on him. Not just say "he doesn't like shoes"
dragonborn
by Wonderstruck on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:09 PM
3 moms liked this
Teacher did nothing wrong.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)