Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lice questions, hair dye

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
This is my first time ever dealing with lice and I have some questions.

1. If your children get it, do you give yourself a treatment too? I have two girls and we share a brush.

2. Does hair dye kill lice? I remember itching severely a few weeks ago but then I dyed my hair. I don't think I've been itchy since.

3. Does OTC lice shampoo strip hair of box dye? I did a treatment and it started leaking down my shoulders while I was waiting. The shampoo was clear but the stuff running out was tinted brown. :/

4. I'm trying really hard to comb my hair out myself and I'm having a really hard time. I just did my two girls and my back is killing me. I'm also not finding any nits on myself. Maybe I don't have it? I don't have anyone else to help me comb my hair out. The girls tried but they're too small to help much. Do I get an RX?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:21 PM

Enlist a good friend or hire a service.

tina_a
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:22 PM
My daughter got it from school once I treated her cleaned and bagged all stuffed animals etc. I didn't treat myself or other children because they didn't have it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:23 PM
We had lice this year for the first time.
We used a natural Olive and essential oil treatment with lots of combing. I was able to do my own head, but I had shoulder length hair.

Ultrakiwi
by Glockenspiel on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:29 PM
I used olive oil. The shampoos were crap. I did treat myself as a precaution. I would put the olive oil in our hair overnight, 4 nights a week. Used a shower cap to keep it off the beds. I would comb our hair out in the morning.
Haven't had them since.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:33 PM
My kids had it for the first time last year. I did treat myself and it didn't effect my hair dye which was just the demi permanent kind. I never found a nit on myself but was itchy just thinking about lice in my house so did it anyway.

The name brand kind of rid was easier on the hair, didn't leave it so brittle feeling.

Vacuum, bag up toys for a while, and don't forget to treat your car. I asked their pedi's advice and she had me leave the treatment in for 30 full minutes and don't forget to repeat in 7-10 days.

Once they're gone add tea tree oil to your shampoo and it will repel lice in the future.
nerdmom2twins
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:39 PM

No advice on treatment, but I will say prevention is good once this is over.  We use a detangler/leave in conditioner on DD who has hair like mine that tangles easily.  BUt it has ingredients that repel lice (tea tree oil, and the like). To be safe we use it on all of us.  And I've educated the kids about not putting their heads against another, not sharing brushes and hats or hair ties, and things like that.  Good luck mama!

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:43 PM
When dd got it my husband and I just used the shampoo
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:45 PM

1-yes

2-no, maybe some....but no

3-have someone help you or just keep at it. No matter what you do you still have to comb out nits.

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:46 PM

If I have any reason to think anyone in the house has lice I treat EVERYTHING. Pillows, stuffed animals, couches, carpet, dogs, people, lol. I probably go overboard but those things gross me out. I've heard dye kills them, but I'm not sure. I just used mayo to treat everyone's head though.

MommyKir
by Kay on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:48 PM

permanent hair dye has been listed as things that could kill head lice.... So you may have killed them. But you really should do numerous head treatments and comb outs to be safe with the kids, boiling the brushes etc. washing everything you can. Because the eggs can hatch even after treatment, those kill some nits, and already hatched bugs, but not always all the eggs.... And if the shampoo is stripping your dye, you can smother the lice with olive oil, and sleep with it in and cover your head in a shower cap, same with the kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)