Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She Wants to Die

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 80 Replies

Would you make your child stop being friends with their friend from 3 years old if the child was put into a mental treatment facility for wanting to kill herself?

My daughter is 13 and this is our situation. I have several people I know telling me that we should force the friendship to end. I see no point in doing that.

The girls mother tried to kill herself just before Halloween and she found her mom not breathing on the deck. She called 911 and the paramedics brought her back. She sat watching them beat on her chest. They thought she had left the room but she only hid so she could see if they saved her.

She was given to her father and the mother had to have court supervised visits. When the mom did show up she would say cruel things about not wanting the girl and how she should have had her ripped out when she pregnant. Finally they stopped the visits all together after this past weekend when the mom went after the girl to hurt her. 

They had a sleepover this weekend and the girl told me she wanted to kill herself and that she was planning ways to do it but she was so scared. I took her to her father and we told him together. She was taken to a crisis center and they had her admitted to a mental treatment facility for children. I do not think it is wise to end this ten year friendship. I do not see any good coming from it on any end. My daughter is making her friend a doll to put into a basket full of goodies that her dad will bring to her. I think that is perfect and I am proud of her.

Would you end the friendship? Why would you end it?

After a night of sleep and some negative responses I know that I will not end this friendship at all. I don't think I even thought of that but I did need views on why people thought they would end a friendship like this. I'm glad I posted this because it showed me things I really don't want my child to learn. I don't want her to learn to walk away from friends or even strangers when they need someone so badly. If we walked away her friend might have gone through with hurting herself. Yes reality is tough but I will not have my kid living in a bubble. I know she is strong enough for this.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amybelle
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:38 PM

Not at all

kookoolala
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:39 PM
4 moms liked this
I wouodnt end the friendship at all or even consider it. That girl needs her close friends and family to help her in this time. It would be more traumatic for her to loose another close frI end or family member
-42-
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:39 PM
No.
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:40 PM

No i wouldn't. She will need her friend.

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:40 PM

Not at all, the poor girl could use some friends.

Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:40 PM

Friendship over

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:40 PM

I completely agree !

Quoting kookoolala: I wouodnt end the friendship at all or even consider it. That girl needs her close friends and family to help her in this time. It would be more traumatic for her to loose another close frI end or family member

t1gger143
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:40 PM
No. For some reason people think suicide is contagious. My mom is one of those. It's not and it would just make your Dd upset.
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:40 PM
Absolutely not. She needs a good friend now more than ever.
Valentina327
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Now is when you need your friends most
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)