Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When Did It Stop Being Fun??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

Holidays.. life in general. My 13 year old absolutely drains me day in and day out. Most days I cannot stand being around him. Anything anyone does can set off an argument. My 8 year old is feeding off this behavior as well. She is not as happy as she used to be. She has built up this wall towards the older one. I feel like such a failure as a mom. I can't enjoy the little things we used to do, our holiday traditions, even a simple day at home. Please someone tell me this gets better.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:19 AM

They are both in rough stages right now.  I promise it gets better 8 is a horrific age and so is 13. 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:20 AM
Sorry. No advice other than hang in there.
mommykruse1018
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Me and my brother fought like cats and dogs growing up, now he's my best friend!! Things get better!! Hang in there!!!
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:21 AM

It helps to not engage them in the arguments, just tune it out.

MilkLover0203
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:22 AM
There's that number 13 again.
702girly
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I've gone through rough patches with mine too. I think most people do, especially during the teen years.

We've changed some holidays to make it more fun. Santa Claus kinda makes my 14 year old roll his eyes but telling him we're going on a vacation he'd enjoy or giving him concert tickets to a band he likes instead of presents is exciting.

I'm also a big fan of volunteering for kids that are in a funk. My son is great working with little kids. It took awhile to figure that out but he really enjoys that the kids look up to him and he likes helping them. Some kids like working with animals. I have one friend whose son loves going to the VA hospital and talking to the veterans. I think helping someone less fortunate can really put some things into perspective for an angsty teenager.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)