Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you sit next to him??

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 3:26 AM
  • 17 Replies

Ok, so dh and I have been cracking up.  Seriously, it is either laugh, or cry at this point, so we have decided to laugh.  Well, today, we had a good laugh.  

So, his surgery to remove the tumor from his throat has caused his tongue and throat to swell, so he can't swallow well.  The follow up with chemo and radiation will cause the same problem, so they are putting in a PEG tube, which is a feeding tube into his stomach.  Right now he has an NG tube, which is a feeding tube that runs through the nose.  We are SOOO looking forward to the PEG tube.  Anyway, he has to have continuous feeds until he can take enough calories in by mouth.  He also can't swallow his own saliva, so he has to have suction with him at all times.  

I know, not funny, here is what we found funny.  When the military was arranging our tickets, they couldn't get us seats together on the flights back home.  Well, when the nurse was explaining the process to get the papers to give us permission to carry his kangaroo (feeding tube pump) and portable suction, onto the plane, I started laughing.  DH looked at me confused and then realized what I found so funny (we really are soul mates).  I looked at the nurse and explained that the problem with our seats not being together probably won't be an issue.  I mean, seriously, would you sit next to someone whose backpack makes whirring noises and who is using portable suction to suck spit out of his mouth for the entire plane ride, or would you agree to move when his wife asked if you minded changing seats.  sidesplittinglaughter

Call me crazy, but as I said, either laugh, or cry.  So we decided today, to laugh a bit. 

by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 3:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 3:28 AM
2 moms liked this

Well,you have a good point. Even if the flight won't move you the people sure as hell will! It makes me happy to see you guys being able to laugh at all of this.. I laughed with you and I will cry with you,but today.. tonight..we laugh at how preposterously stupid humans are. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 3:29 AM
I see the humor. I'm glad you had something to laugh about.
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Obviously, I would see he needed you and trade seats.

I wish you the best.

petie1104
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 3:30 AM

It was the first laugh we've had in a week, so I think we laughed a little too much for the nurse's liking, but honestly, we are usually the happy funny couple.  It felt good to feel that way again for a bit. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Well,you have a good point. Even if the flight won't move you the people sure as hell will! It makes me happy to see you guys being able to laugh at all of this.. I laughed with you and I will cry with you,but today.. tonight..we laugh at how preposterously stupid humans are. 

SparkleMuffin
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 3:38 AM

Check the bold. 

Now.. You are that couple.. Not used to be,not will be one day again. You ARE that couple. The people aside from you who care for your husband know what he is going through and have seen it a million times,that doesn't make them less empathetic to the whole idea of someone having cancer,which is fucking terrifying,even if it can be sent into remission or taken out. 

You are the funny as shit couple..

I'm the sick one in my relationship and my husband and I have come to a point now where we not even on purpose stupid/silly/goofy/flirty/fun/sweet as possible.. It's almost like we walk into a hospital room or a doctors office and we both actually light up.. We are actually our best when we are afraid and once I am stable and you husband is cured.. We will all stay this way,because this is who we are. It was never a show,it was never funny for the sake of funny. We are funny as shit and even funnier together,

Who cares if it's only to us. 

Nothing shows your true character until some one else is holding an eraser. 

Anyways.. I hope I didn't ramble too hard and this makes sense.. 

Quoting petie1104:

It was the first laugh we've had in a week, so I think we laughed a little too much for the nurse's liking, but honestly, we are usually the happy funny couple.  It felt good to feel that way again for a bit. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

petie1104
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 3:45 AM

It makes perfect sense, it is just hard to see right now.  He is scared, I'm scared, so we see fear more than anything.  But I feel us, right under the surface, the way we really are. I am sure, as we move forward and adjust to the new situation, we will start to be us more and more.  Thank you for understanding.  

Of course, the nurse's have got to realize that we aren't being flippant.  Though, the oncologist was more upbeat and right now he is in a recovery wing, not a cancer center.  So maybe that will make a difference.  They walk on eggshells around us right now (they know the facts, dh is down to a 63% chance of survival after 2 years).  So, I think the nurse was caught off guard.  The oncologist, yesterday, was smiling and sweet as she explained the numbers and even cracked some jokes.  I have to wonder if those that work in the cancer ward are more joyful and light hearted than those in the recovery wing.  

Quoting SparkleMuffin:

Check the bold. 

Now.. You are that couple.. Not used to be,not will be one day again. You ARE that couple. The people aside from you who care for your husband know what he is going through and have seen it a million times,that doesn't make them less empathetic to the whole idea of someone having cancer,which is fucking terrifying,even if it can be sent into remission or taken out. 

You are the funny as shit couple..

I'm the sick one in my relationship and my husband and I have come to a point now where we not even on purpose stupid/silly/goofy/flirty/fun/sweet as possible.. It's almost like we walk into a hospital room or a doctors office and we both actually light up.. We are actually our best when we are afraid and once I am stable and you husband is cured.. We will all stay this way,because this is who we are. It was never a show,it was never funny for the sake of funny. We are funny as shit and even funnier together,

Who cares if it's only to us. 

Nothing shows your true character until some one else is holding an eraser. 

Anyways.. I hope I didn't ramble too hard and this makes sense.. 

Quoting petie1104:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Poosaloosa
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 4:00 AM
Glad you can make light of it! Sometimes the only way to get through without going stark raving mad is to laugh about it. My friend of twenty years will no longer have anything to do with me because I don't take my stroke or seizures serious enough.

I sound and act like I am wasted drunk for a good ten minutes after a seizure so my BFF and my husband make videos of me, they ask me goofy questions, etc. Well I was in the ER after one particularly bad seizure, and my BFF said to the nurse I was still talking like I had brain damage. Well I was like, "I don't have the brain damage!" But it sounds like I did, and he took a video of that and put me on Facebook. I thinks is hilarious. I kind of laugh so I don't cry. Other friend hasn't talked to me in a year because of that video.
jws120567
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 4:13 AM

There's nothing wrong with laughter, it helps to get through the tough times.  This past November I found out that I had endometrial cancer, so I had a hysterectomy on December 1st.  Well, while I was recuperating, my mom and stepdad decided to come visit a few days after my surgery.  I didn't really want them to drive so far, they're elderly and it's a 4-hour trip for them.  My hubby cracked me up by saying to me, "What do you think, it's all about you?"  LOL!  He always knows how to make me laugh!  I also believe that keeping upbeat helps to fight cancer, I truly do!  Best of luck to you and your hubby!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 4:16 AM
Yeah Id sit next to him. Unless you asked to. But Id have to say something smart ass like "Excuse me Sir, your vibrator is running " I've had the feeding tube and boy do they suck.
Valentina327
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 4:20 AM
God bless you both! Sometimes the humor is all we have in situations like this. Best of luck and hoping for fast healing for your husband.

Quoting petie1104:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)