Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is anyone familiar with section 8?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies
I was homeless for two years and I finally got approved for section 8. We moved from a 1 bedroom small apartment to a 2 bedroom apartment in public housing. We are in NYC. They told me to share a room with my dd and give ds the other bedroom. That's crazy to me! I can't share a room with my kid when my bf spends the night so many times a week. I need a 3 bedroom apartment.

If I move out of state will I be able to get a 3 bedroom with my section 8?

I'm thinking maybe the rules are so tight here because its nyc and things are already so cramped. When I lived in my 1 bedroom I seen entire families living in those 1 bedroom apartments...full families of 6 plus people! I never looked in to see how they made that work but I was shocked..but it was the norm to them.

I just can't handle that though...dd is 10 and needs her own space away from ds8 . Ds is obnoxious and a gross boy.

And before you start bashing me no I can't afford to get off section 8 in new york city. My 1 bedroom apartment was $1387 a month with seperate utilities . I make $500 every 2 weeks .

My 2 bedroom is $1600 a month but with section 8 I pay only 30% .

My kids want to move to Florida and live in a regular house and be in the sunshine. I'm seriously contemplating moving to Florida for them. Will I be able to get a 3 bedroom in Florida ? I'm hoping the rules are different out of state. I'm in college now for my associate degree so I would like to move when I graduate next year or so. I just want a nice place for my kids and their own bedrooms.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:30 AM
Tl;dr but its a conspiracy theory there is no such thing and section 8 because there's no such thing as aliens.
chickensmommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:31 AM
3 moms liked this
There's nothing wrong with you sharing.
You can do whatever you want, but since you are taking a handout you should just be grateful for whatever help you are getting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:31 AM
Put your kids before your bf. There. Problem solved.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:32 AM
Its not about my boyfriend. I need my own space period. My bf will not be moving with us.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Put your kids before your bf. There. Problem solved.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:34 AM
3 moms liked this
Nothing like already getting a free handout and looking for more... Smh at this post...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:34 AM

I guess if you want a three bedroom, you will have to pay for it yourself.  Beggers can't be choosers.  Be grateful. Some of us pay for what we need and want and if we can't afford it, we go without

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Then get a better job and pay for it yourself. Society doesn't owe you 3 bedrooms Jesus

Quoting Anonymous 1: Its not about my boyfriend. I need my own space period. My bf will not be moving with us.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Put your kids before your bf. There. Problem solved.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:34 AM
Idk. I was on section 8 and all my kids had to have seperate rooms. It was in the rules listed. Unless I had 2 of the same gender.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:35 AM
This exactly. Damn people are so greedy it's sickening.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

I guess if you want a three bedroom, you will have to pay for it yourself.  Beggers can't be choosers.  Be grateful. Some of us pay for what we need and want and if we can't afford it, we go without

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:35 AM
Idk. I was on section 8 and all my kids had to have seperate rooms. It was in the rules listed. Unless I had 2 of the same gender.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)