Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Patio furniture in the house. Update

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 323 Replies
The kids can't respect the couch. We've tried so many things and still they want to bounce on it and just tear it up. It's not expensive, but after so many years of trying to teach them to respect things we are thinking about tossing it and just getting patio furniture. Too extreme? I should mention one of the kids has peed on it a lot. Others have spilled food and drinks on it. It's gross.

Update: so dh and talked it over and we were ready to go without furniture until the kids learned that a couch is to be as much respected as a kitchen table. Or their beds. Then I found a leather sectional really cheap today and I ran it by dh. He said yeah go for it. But the kids don't even get the chance to mess this one up. They aren't allowed on it what so ever. As they delivered the new couch ds was really excited and couldn't wait to sit on it but we told him absolutely not. The dd came running in almost screaming, "that's a couch?! That's a couch?!" We wouldn't let her sit there either. We sat down and enjoyed a nice ckean comfy couch while they say on the floor.
For now we moved the old sectional to the playroom because we can't haul it off or set it out yet. I'm debating keeping it for a practice couch. The lart ds didn't pee on anyways. Unless my cleaning company thinks they can totally clean it for me again.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cookiemonster77
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:51 AM
9 moms liked this

My kids bounce around on the couch too and I tell them every time to settle down. If they don't they get sent to the basement to play. You need to set limits about where they can eat meals. That has never happened in our house because the kids know you only eat in the kitchen at the table.

the kids would probably think it's fun to have patio furniture in the house. It will bite you in the ass

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:53 AM
Yes, toss the disgusting couch.

Patio furniture sounds awful, but I think you could do it if you were creative enough. IKEA had this gorgeous metal patio furniture last year, I can see working in the right house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:20 AM
My kids know food is only allowed at the kitchen table. They know not to jump on the couch. They know these things. We've even put a lock on the pantry and I'm about to lock up the fridge. I hsualky leave fruit out for snacks and I've caught the little one eating oranges on the couch. She knows better.
Either way this couch is about to get tossed and I'll get something for me to sit on. It will be something not as bouncy and that can be hosed off. Or maybe just a comfy camping chair so I can remove it when I'm done.

Quoting cookiemonster77:

My kids bounce around on the couch too and I tell them every time to settle down. If they don't they get sent to the basement to play. You need to set limits about where they can eat meals. That has never happened in our house because the kids know you only eat in the kitchen at the table.

the kids would probably think it's fun to have patio furniture in the house. It will bite you in the ass

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:23 AM
Just until they get a little older. We are doing a lot of upgrades and stuff anyways so my house looks like shit as it is. When they can respect a lawn chair then they can have a comfy couch. 2 of them are old enough to really know better and the youngest is 3. She knows not to eat on the couch, yet I'll turn around and catch her with an orange over there.
I keep having it cleaned but that can only do so much.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Yes, toss the disgusting couch.

Patio furniture sounds awful, but I think you could do it if you were creative enough. IKEA had this gorgeous metal patio furniture last year, I can see working in the right house.
ILovemyPaulie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:33 AM
4 moms liked this

I've seen really nice plastic wicker outdoor furniture that would be nice for inside and the cushions are washable. Go for it!

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:36 AM
21 moms liked this
Ew. This is crazy to me. You are letting them run and ruin your home. Don't tolerate their nastiness. We have always had very nice furniture. They know they can't ruin it or they will be in for it. They need to learn respect.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:36 AM
7 moms liked this

So rather than teach them to respect the family's stuff, you're just going to get something that they can trash without having too much of a financial impact.  SMH.

LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:36 AM
I knew some people that did that when they lived in an apartment. They bought patio furniture knowing they were saving for a house and that one day the patio furniture would go outside.

I think it's a fine idea, just make sure it's all washable. A couch cover runs about $80, that might work as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
You think I haven't tried that? I'm taking away the luxury of a couch. They can't respect it, they can't have it.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

So rather than teach them to respect the family's stuff, you're just going to get something that they can trash without having too much of a financial impact.  SMH.

KnotFoo
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Your children have pissed on the sofa on purpose or were they just too small and pissed their pants?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)