Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I wanna be a cheapskate! lol

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:21 AM
  • 6 Replies
Not going to lie, I was super inspired by the other "cheapskate" post. I don't think it's a bad thing at all! I already coupon, but I'd love to save even more money!

My daughter got a bunch of gardening stuff for Easter with some flower seeds. But I think I'm going to start my own veggies and herbs. Once they grow, how do I preserve them?

I'm also super interested in DIY laundry soap and dryer sheets! How do I go about doing that? And more importantly, does it really save you money?

What are some other thrifty things to pinch a penny? I'm saving for a lot right now, so if you have any tips of ideas, feel free to share them!

Thanks!!!
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
victoriangavin
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
You can make your own laundry soap with three things, borax, arm and hammer washing soda, and a bar of feels naptha. One cup each of borax and washing soda one bar of fels naptha. I shread my soap with a cheese grater the largest I can to avoid clumping then put it in the ninja chopper to make it fine. Thoughrouly mix all ingredients and use one tbs per load. Gets stains out and less wear on clothes as well. One jar last my family of 3 at least 3 months. For fabric softener white vinegar in a Downey ball, works wonders
MommyStar3343
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:35 AM
The vinegar in a downy ball doesn't make your clothes stink?

Quoting victoriangavin: You can make your own laundry soap with three things, borax, arm and hammer washing soda, and a bar of feels naptha. One cup each of borax and washing soda one bar of fels naptha. I shread my soap with a cheese grater the largest I can to avoid clumping then put it in the ninja chopper to make it fine. Thoughrouly mix all ingredients and use one tbs per load. Gets stains out and less wear on clothes as well. One jar last my family of 3 at least 3 months. For fabric softener white vinegar in a Downey ball, works wonders
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:37 AM

I did the dryer sheet sponges and they work great! I also made my own laundry soap and I loved it. But it is time consuming.

2minimize
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting MommyStar3343: The vinegar in a downy ball doesn't make your clothes stink?
Quoting victoriangavin: You can make your own laundry soap with three things, borax, arm and hammer washing soda, and a bar of feels naptha. One cup each of borax and washing soda one bar of fels naptha. I shread my soap with a cheese grater the largest I can to avoid clumping then put it in the ninja chopper to make it fine. Thoughrouly mix all ingredients and use one tbs per load. Gets stains out and less wear on clothes as well. One jar last my family of 3 at least 3 months. For fabric softener white vinegar in a Downey ball, works wonders

Nope! I put vinegar in my washer too. For dryer sheets you can use commercial brands and just cut them in half. Otherwise you can make cloth ones to reuse.

victoriangavin
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:54 PM
It leaves no vinegar smell in the clothes and I've noticed my clothes don't pick up other smells or a musty smell if they sit a while

Quoting MommyStar3343: The vinegar in a downy ball doesn't make your clothes stink?

myflowerasd
by 💖~Skunk~💖 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 1:23 PM
I may need to try this.

Quoting victoriangavin: It leaves no vinegar smell in the clothes and I've noticed my clothes don't pick up other smells or a musty smell if they sit a while

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)