Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

are type 2 diabetic people...?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
The only ones who have to watch their carb intake? For instance, if i wanted to eat a giant plate of pasta, and a piece of bread would it be safe? Im not diabetic, but work for someone who is. I have learned the gravity of the illness and its freaked me out enough to start eating her type of diet. But i miss spaghetti and crunchy garlic bread
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
whoodathunk
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:29 PM

It's never good to just eat carbs.  Eat your pasta & bread in the proper portion, but pair it with a tossed salad and some protein with a big glass of water & you should be fine if you're not diabetic.  

TisHerself
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Anything in moderation is fine. Do you have risk factors for developing type 2 diabetes? 

Bluerose1482
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Will one giant plate of pasta kill you?  Nope.  Is it a good idea to regularly eat giant plates of pasta and bread?  Nope.  It is all about moderation.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2015 at 1:36 PM
No. I don't have it in my immediate family history, and i am fairly thin (5'2" 130lbs)

Quoting TisHerself:

Anything in moderation is fine. Do you have risk factors for developing type 2 diabetes? 

StarLight23
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 1:41 PM

Ideally, we all should watch our carb intake.

When you eat carbs it is wise to pair it with dairy (which has calcium and protein) or protein like meat.

This is why that just eating a big bowl of pasta won't stay with you. You will feel very hungry not long after.

When balancing blood sugar, you control the carb intake. Carbs have a big impact on blood sugar.

Not_A_Native
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Quoting Anonymous 1: No. I don't have it in my immediate family history, and i am fairly thin (5'2" 130lbs)
Quoting TisHerself:

Actually,that isn't "fairly thin."

Risk factors are not necessarily family history. Are you sedentary?  Do you normally eat large amounts of carbs?   Do you regularly do weight bearing exercise (running, weights,etc)

chillemi78
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 1:46 PM
Diabetics all react to different foods in different ways. But since carbs, particularly white, refined carbs turn into glucose in the body, it can make blood sugar levels spike out of a healthy range for diabetics. It's all about balance, for all of us, but diabetics have to watch it a little more closely.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2015 at 1:54 PM
Oh. Crap. Am i overweight? Oops. I don't do a ton of exercise. I should.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Quoting Anonymous 1: No. I don't have it in my immediate family history, and i am fairly thin (5'2" 130lbs)
Quoting TisHerself:

Actually,that isn't "fairly thin."

Risk factors are not necessarily family history. Are you sedentary?  Do you normally eat large amounts of carbs?   Do you regularly do weight bearing exercise (running, weights,etc)

sweetpeasgirl12
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)