Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Embarrassed and ashamed to have been diagnosed with diabetes type 2

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 124 Replies

Yea was diagnosed last week and I'm embarrassed and ashamed. I have not told anyone. I'm taking metiform 500 mg twice a day. I have been reading up on diet and its got me so confused. One page said bananas were bad for diabetics. I'm also scared to death I'm going to die early because of this. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2015 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 5:53 PM
6 moms liked this
Follow a diabetic diet and exercise regularly. Watch your carbs, up protein, and add oily fish or omega 3 supplement. Good luck. It's only a death sentence if you make it one.
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Also, read up on vitamin D and diabetes.  You are probably deficient and should supplement.  vitamindcouncil.org and mercola.org for more information.

KrysRed
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:01 PM
This.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Follow a diabetic diet and exercise regularly. Watch your carbs, up protein, and add oily fish or omega 3 supplement. Good luck. It's only a death sentence if you make it one.
TisHerself
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:04 PM
2 moms liked this

There are other factors at play besides just lifestyle. Be more gentle with yourself, and commit to good health. Positive thoughts your way. 

terri78
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:04 PM
It's not anything to be embarrassed about. My husband has Type 2 diabetes, along with a kidney disease and heart condition. He's had a stent and takes 8 meds every day. He stays home with the kids and works odd jobs at times. He still mows the yard, does some work on the car, but he can rest and not overdo it. Just eat healthy and exercise and you should be fine.
LyTe684
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:05 PM
2 moms liked this
Why are you ashamed hon?
PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:08 PM
3 moms liked this

Don't beat yourself up. 

Bananas are not bad due to the potassium one can get from them, but they are a natural sugar, and Diabetics need to watch for those natural sources of sugar and because they can (depending on the individual) raise the BS levels.

Have your doctor refer you to a nutritionist and dietitian who specializes in the dietary needs of Type 2 Diabetics. The good, the bad, and the ugly of it all.

Drink lots of water and just watch your carbs as well as those "hidden" sugars.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:09 PM

i really do not know why I feel that way. Im really having a hard time accepting this. 

Quoting LyTe684: Why are you ashamed hon?

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:10 PM
2 moms liked this

there is no reason to be ashamed dear. It happens to a lot of people. Your doctor needs to set you up with a dietitian.

type 2 since 2002.

cleansedbyglory
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

i am taking taht exact dosage and medicine for my PCOS/IR..

i am pre-diabetic..

<3 hugs!

try paleo!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)