Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When I see someone that didn't use the correct there/they're

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 7:11 PM
  • 14 Replies
I figure they were typing too fast and didn't proof read. Maybe they were on autopilot as they typed and weren't paying attention.
I've made plenty of spelling and grammar errors. I've seen grammar enthusiasts make errors. I bet with proof reading 80% of the errors would be caught.
Unless someone is consistently making errors I assume their grammar is just as good as the person who took the time to correct them. I do think it is fun to correct someone's grammar when they are calling others stupid though lol!
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ihave1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Okay. 

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 7:16 PM
I've always thought it was pretty easy to tell the difference between a typo, an autocorrect, and an actual error, mostly by the rest of the sentence/paragraph/essay. When I was teaching, I didn't grade down for obvious typos unless there were more than two on a page (because then they clearly were not proofreading appropriately).
casah4
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 7:16 PM

I usually give people the benefit of the doubt. Especially if it's just one time. I know I've typed the wrong word before and have no idea why I did it.  LOL If it's the same error multiple times in a post, they probably aren't just slipping up. I don't say anything unless the person is being a jackass.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 7:16 PM
I don't mind if someone points out a typo or other mistake that I make. I want my posts to have good spelling/grammar.
theboyfactory
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 7:17 PM
I will only correct someone's grammar/spelling with snark if they are being an asshat.

Sometimes, I'll correct someone's grammar/spelling politely early in a post to protect them from the onslaught.
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 7:18 PM
2 moms liked this
It's pretty funny when they are calling someone else stupid or ignorant and cant form a coherent sentence.
chicklopez
by ItsFunnierInEnochian on Apr. 5, 2015 at 7:19 PM

most of the time I double check my posts, and as soon as I hit reply I realize I used the wrong form (almost always there/their/they're) and I immediatly edit because god knows someone will get hung up on it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 7:19 PM

For me, it depends on the grammar, spelling, and choice of words in the entire post/reply. I don't usually correct anyone directly, but if the errors are too atrocious, I won't bother to reply to their post. We all make mistakes, but as you pointed out, there is a difference between an occasional mistake and someone with poor grammar.

Cowgirl_Coyote
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 7:20 PM
When I see someone type "your an idiot" or "you have bad grammer" it just makes me smile. I usually don't point out errors even though they do bother me. I know my grammar isn't perfect and I've made errors too. Generally if I do point out a mistake, it is just to help them. If there are numerous mistakes, I just back out of the post.
Jblb
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 7:20 PM
I never correct nor care about other peoples grammar. If I can't read it, I move on.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)