Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you even punish for this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
DS9 has this behavior i HATE. He manages to turn things around and try to avoid getting 'in trouble', even if it's as simple as me correcting something.

Example- he reached for his packet of gum, but there was little kids not allowed to have any. I told him to put it away, that he's had enough today. Said something about how he had two... then i asked unless he had more? turning the question to him. He said no. I didn't believe him so i asked to see the pack. 4 were missing... i told him that he lied to me and i didn't appreciate it. He said that he didn't lie, i just didn't give him time to finish his sentence... finish your sentence? You said no, then was quiet.

Another example- he made himself a sandwich as a late snack (dinner was early)... he started heading towards the stairs to go to his room to eat. I told him that he needs to eat in the living room. He said, "why do you think i said 'wait'?"... ummmm, you didn't say wait, i was just telling you that you had to eat here.

This is how he is with EVERYTHING.... it's small yet again, it's every time for every thing. He tries to turn it so he's not the 'bad guy'.

Tried to explain why lying is bad- how would it feel if i said we'd go to the movies and instead, we just went home... "well, it depends on what movie it is"... why does that even matter?

Ugh. I can't even name this behavior, but i need help bc its driving me crazy! What do i do? How do i stop it?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:29 PM
So is it you, or your husband who does this all the time?

That's how it's learned....
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Don't get into arguments with him. In your first example, it doesn't matter how many he had, you'd said he'd had enough for the day. End of discussion. Same thing with the second example, you told him what he needs to do, just ignore anything he says afterward.

petie1104
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this
He sounds afraid of punishment, or afraid of being wrong. Sounds like he doesn't need punishment but he needs to understand that making mistakes is OK. He's a kid, their job is to learn, and often that means making mistakes, and that is OK.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:31 PM
It's called being a smart ass.
I put them in time out and three strikes in one day earns the loss of dessert and television.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:33 PM
Neither- I'll admit my wrongs and there's no husband. Possibly cousin. She can often change the subject and avoid trouble (or cry and get out of trouble)... but we're only around them a few hours a week (15).

Quoting Anonymous 2: So is it you, or your husband who does this all the time?

imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:33 PM
I wouldn't punish him for either of those things.

Kids are supposed to test you, how else will they know their boundaries? It your job to keep him in those boundaries. If he could do it himself, what would he need you for?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:36 PM
Omg, have we reached the smart ass stage? I thought I'd have a few more years before this.

Quoting Anonymous 3: It's called being a smart ass.
I put them in time out and three strikes in one day earns the loss of dessert and television.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:36 PM
That's called back talk and he needs to be punished for it every time until he learns not to do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:37 PM
A few hours of seeing the behavior, especially if he sees it being effective for the person doingbit, is enough to cause it For sure.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Neither- I'll admit my wrongs and there's no husband. Possibly cousin. She can often change the subject and avoid trouble (or cry and get out of trouble)... but we're only around them a few hours a week (15).

Quoting Anonymous 2: So is it you, or your husband who does this all the time?

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:38 PM
He sounds hilarious. Can't help. My kids are smart asses too half the time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)