Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

has your child had croup?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:21 PM
  • 10 Replies
I suspect my 3 yr old does but I'm not sure. He has a barking cough and loud breathing at times. This just appeared tonight. All day he was fine. What should i look out for? Should i schedule an appt?
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:23 PM
Steam up the bathroom and sit in there with him for about 30 minutes. Plenty of clear liquids. My kids had chronic croup as little ones. This is what the nurse always told me to do.
djamommyoftwo
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:23 PM
My kids have never had croup, but they've had rsv. When they had rsv they had a barking cough at times and loud breathing. I would schedule an appointment just to be safe.
clearlyme
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:23 PM
Mine has had croup. I always bring him to the dr as a precaution. I would rather them tell me that it's viral and just give me advice than not bring him and it be more serious.
mrsrodgers0703
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:24 PM
I would just because my youngest had what I thought was croup and it turned out to be bronchiolitus (sp?) almost RSV and needed a nebulizer.
PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:25 PM
Watch the bottom if his neck, i forget what its called....but if it starts sinking in more then normal when he breathes *struggling to breathe* take him to the hospital
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:25 PM
Only once. They gave her a steroid and she was great. I was told croup is very similar to laryngitis. However, because a young child's airway is so small the swelling effects their breathing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:30 PM
You watch the little triangle where his neck meets his chest and also look at his stomach under his ribs, if the are really defined and he has whistling in his throat(strider) take him in. If it's more a barky cough and sort of just loud breathing do the steamy bathroom thing.

My son is 9 and has had recurrent croup since he was 8 months. He ended up on a life flight to the children's hospital this past sept. He is an extreme case though no amount of steam helps him. It's the ER every time.
My daughter is 5 and has had it twice in her life and the steamy bathroom works for her, then I take her into the dr and get her some steroids and she is good.
Regardless I would take him into the dr tomorrow.

Quoting PhantomRose88: Watch the bottom if his neck, i forget what its called....but if it starts sinking in more then normal when he breathes *struggling to breathe* take him to the hospital
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:34 PM
This is good advice. My 5 year old has had to go to the hospital twice for it because his breath got so hard.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You watch the little triangle where his neck meets his chest and also look at his stomach under his ribs, if the are really defined and he has whistling in his throat(strider) take him in. If it's more a barky cough and sort of just loud breathing do the steamy bathroom thing.

My son is 9 and has had recurrent croup since he was 8 months. He ended up on a life flight to the children's hospital this past sept. He is an extreme case though no amount of steam helps him. It's the ER every time.
My daughter is 5 and has had it twice in her life and the steamy bathroom works for her, then I take her into the dr and get her some steroids and she is good.
Regardless I would take him into the dr tomorrow.

Quoting PhantomRose88: Watch the bottom if his neck, i forget what its called....but if it starts sinking in more then normal when he breathes *struggling to breathe* take him to the hospital
juniors.mommy
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:35 PM
Ds had croup then RSV the next week. When he was like 5months old and it was worse at night. It can't hurt to make an apt.
wilky5
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:35 PM
My boys have both had croup numerous times. The biggest thing to ever work, and trust me it does, is to keep a humidifier in their bedroom at night. If I do that at the first sign of the barky cough then it seems to keep the croup from taking hold. If they ever start having a hard time breathing then either go outside for cold air or run the shower for a steamy bathroom. If it goes for more than 2 nights without breathing issues, then call the dr. I hate the steroids they give so it's a last resort for us.

Good luck! I hope he gets better soon!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)