Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom at your interview? Really??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies

On Friday I had the pleasure of conducting interviews for a few positions. None of them were high executive, but they were above the mailroom. I was informed my last interview was here and I was pleased she was on time and after glancing into the waiting room, that she was well dressed. I was a bit confused with the woman sitting with her in the waiting room but thought maybe she had to get a ride or whatever. No big deal. As I went to greet her and take her back she introduces herself as my applicants mother and I did the "nice to meet you" routine and didn't think much about it until I asked the applicant to come to my office and she starts coming with us! I asked her if she would like some water or coffee in the lobby and she says "Oh no, I sit in on all her interviews".

WT actual F??

It was awkward to say the least. She answered many of the questions directed at the applicant, dominated all conversation and seemed dismissive of any sort of common question like salary expectations. 

She is not going to get the job. I can't imagine anyone hiring her if that is how she interviews. In what world does anyone EVER think that is a good idea? I know we have some crazies on here that would probably say they would do it but come on! This wasn't some 16 year old either. This was a mid twenty year old with a degree. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I blame YOU!

You have poor people skills if you allowed her mother in to begin with!

I wouldn't want to work for you!

1boy1girlmama
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:25 PM
Wow I really hope you are just bs'ing. That is horrible.
quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:25 PM

that poor kid will die in her moms basement..

iwicked
by Sugar Magnolia on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:25 PM
I read this same thing a few nights ago on here.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:25 PM

It's her interview. If someone wants to stand on their hands during their interview I'm OK with it. I have the job already and it's up to them to show ME that they are going to be a good fit. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I blame YOU!

You have poor people skills if you allowed her mother to begin with!

I wouldn't want to work for you!

squeekers
by squeekers on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have asked the woman why she felt it necessary as a mother to sit in the interview. Could have made an interesting answer.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:27 PM
3 moms liked this
Sure. This is such a spinoff of the post of the girl asking if she should bring her mom to her interview. I hope that was a troll post and I hope you are as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Seriously? Is this becoming that big of an issue or becoming common? That is scary.

Quoting iwicked: I read this same thing a few nights ago on here.

xoch86
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:28 PM

I don't think you should be doing interviews, if you thought it was ok to let her in, in the first place.. And then to allow her to take over during the interview and not correct her when she tried to speak for the applicant.. Totally unprofessional on both of you..

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:28 PM
3 moms liked this
I'd do her a favor and call her to tell her exactly why she didn't get the job.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)