Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why wont she just quit?!?!?!

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:01 PM
  • 8 Replies

My DH, children, one of my brothers, his DF and kids were all over at my moms house today for Easter Sunday.  Well I could tell she was not her usual self and she had told me she had chest pains for about 5 hours Friday night.  I am so upset that she is so stubborn and refused to go to the hospital and why you may ask?  She had a heart attack and quadruple bypass surgery 9 years ago!  Well she is now in the hospital and it has been confirmed she had another heart attack! I love my mom so much and do not want to lose her, but here is the kicker, she refuses to quit smoking!  I understand this addiction, it took all of my will power plus Chantix to kick the habit.  I have never nagged her about it because she is a grown woman and make her own decisions on her lifestyle.   I have 3 brothers and reached out to all of them and all of us want to really try to make her realize that she NEEDS to quit smoking to get the most out of life.  Anyone else ever been in this situation with a loved one?  

by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
iwicked
by Sugar Magnolia on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:03 PM
An addiction to nicotine is worsevthan heroin.
ladybuglove08
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:03 PM
My mom is the same..her emphysema is pretty bad & the dr wants her on oxygen which she hates & doesn't use..but she still freaking smokes
ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:07 PM

my dad died from lung cancer from smoking. i dont think you can really make someone quit an addiction unless they want to quit! i hope she sees the light. i would sit down and do maybe an intervention, write letters telling her what you want to say to her. or sit down one on one.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:11 PM

it took me so many tries to quit smoking. I smoked a pack a day for 20 years. It was such a hard habit to break. I still crave them sometimes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Some people don't want to live until they are 100. They want to enjoy their lives & do what they want whether it be smoking or over eating. If she wanted to quit she would. My dad was a smoker for over 30 years & had a cancer scare (not lung or heart) & he quit cold turkey & never smoked again. My mom is in her late 60's & has been smoking most of her life & won't quit. I can't talk because I also smoke. I quit for years at a time but always seem to go back to it. Maybe try to get her to use a vapor instead of cigarettes. She may just ignore you though thinking it's too late to change. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:14 PM

This is true. It's harder for a person to quit & stay smoke free than it is for a heoin addict to quit & stay herion free. Nicotine has such a strong effect on the brain. 

Quoting iwicked: An addiction to nicotine is worsevthan heroin.

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:15 PM

Yup my mother. She died of lung cancer. I now vape after many years of smoking. Am down to a very low nicotine dose, and in a few months going to try to go nicotine free.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:17 PM
I know how you feel. Both of my parents smoke.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)