Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Such hypocrites

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
I live in an area that has a marine amusement park similar to sea world. They have beluga whales and one orca. They also have bears, deer and various other marine creatures such as walrus and sea lions.

It the past year, there have been many protests at the park regarding the captivity of the whales.

I agree that a whale should not be in captivity, however, this whale has been captive for over 30 years.

New legislation could possibly be coming out that it would be illegal to keep whales in captivity.

I ask, what's better? Releasing an animal into the wild that's been captive for that long? How long would it survive?

Also, is it not hypocritical to say just whales? What about all the other animals held in captivity? All the zoos? (Not including rehabilitation facilities where the animal get released back into the wild) How is it ok to have a lion or tiger or rhino in captivity but not a whale?

Why protest of one and not all?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
PrncssToadstool
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Because people are stupid.  "I think whales are super cute so I'm going to protest for the validity of their lives, but I think monkeys are gross so I don't give a flying fuck."

People are just stupid.

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:05 AM
Because they haven't made an emotional documentary about the poor mistreated bears yet.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:07 AM

because people find 1 thing to be offended about and don't stop until they get their way about it..

It's the new 15 mintues of fame.. It has nothing to do with Whales. It's all about the 1 person being able to say, I didn't like this and I got it changed. I am better than everyone.

Eventually all of society will have changed something they were offended by and none of you will be better than each other.

Aussie.mum
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:09 AM
You would hope that the new law would only apply to new situations so the whale they have would stay. I'm sure they wouldn't just release it after being in captivity that long! It would probably be moved to a park where it could stay. If not, it is just ridiculous!
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:13 AM

My guess is, if asked, theywou ldfee l the same about all animals in captivity.

I mean as humans we think we're so importnat that we can capture other living beings for our own entertainment. It's sick.

So maybe they have chosen one place to start.

I see nothing wrong with standing up for what you believe. Good for them for having principles.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:37 PM
How many of the whales were actually born in captivity as opposed to be captured as babies? Zoos at one point used to do that, yes. But the animals in zoos are animals that have all been born into captivity. And if you take animals such as pandas, being captive is part of trying to bring them back as a species.
Glitchtastic
by Glitter Trauma on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:44 PM
Some animals are in captivity because they are so over hunted, poached or just not recovering their number due to their natural habitats being over run by humans--deforestation etc.

Not all captivity is bad.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)