Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update:talked to hotel. Edit#2, Edit #1ESA Animal + hotel

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies

Hi,

I was recently approved for an emotional service animal by my psychologists. She wrote me an official letter stating that I have a disability and the dog would improve my quality of life.

I will be traveling to another town for medical appointments and staying in a hotel. Do I have to show them my letter? Or do I just call in advance and say I have a service dog?

#1Edit: Below is an exerpt from my letter from my doctor. This means my dog is an ESA not a service dog right?

"Because of the severity of her condition, this disorder can be debilitating and can't be anticipated. As the primary treatment to address her psychological disability, I have prescribed her to utilize her one dog to serve as an emotional support animal. It is my professional opinion that the presence of this animal is a necessary treatment for the mental health of this patient because its presence will mitigate the symptoms she is currently experiencing."

"This patient meets the definition of disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Fair Housing Act, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Due to mental illness, this patient has certain limitations. In order to help alleviate these difficulties, and to enhance her ability to live independently and to fully use and enjoy the dwelling unit you own and/or administer, I am prescribing an emotional support animal that will assist her in coping with her disability." 

#2, My apartments do not allow pets, but my landlord allows my dog, she just needed a copy of my letter. Not sure it it makes any difference with hotel stays.

Update:
I called the hotel we planned to stay at. The manager says in the state of Alaska they are not allowed to question if an animal is a service animal or not. I tried again to ask if the fact my dog is an ESA would mean we cannot stay with a fee. He again repeated that they cannot question about a service animal. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Why would this be a problem if you simply choose a hotel that allows pets?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:11 AM
Many hotels, like Holiday Inn, allow dogs without a note. Just call beforehand.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Call and ask.   Be prepared to pay an extra fee for the dog along with a hefty deposit and for any damages your animal may cause.  

ladyvamp5489
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:17 AM

You need to call ahead and let them know you have a dr ordered companion animal, they will charge a deposit for damages, and if there is none, you should get it back. I have had to do this several times. make sure you take your drs letter evertime you go tho, they have always asked for mine for their records. 

catcameback1
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:18 AM

it's not a service dog and doesn't have the same allowances as a service dog.

A lot of hotels accept animals, find one that does.

"

III. Other Support or Therapy Animals

While Emotional Support Animals or Comfort Animals are often used as part of a medical treatment plan as therapy animals, they are not considered service animals under the ADA. These support animals provide companionship, relieve loneliness, and sometimes help with depression, anxiety, and certain phobias, but do not have special training to perform tasks that assist people with disabilities. Even though some states have laws defining therapy animals, these animals are not limited to working with people with disabilities and therefore are not covered by federal laws protecting the use of service animals.  Therapy animals provide people with therapeutic contact, usually in a clinical setting, to improve their physical, social, emotional, and/or cognitive functioning."

https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

Jovairia
by Fieryspirit on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:19 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:19 AM
Very few do, and the couple that do charge $150 non-refundable fee. This hotel accepts service dogs. I'm just not sure if I need to show paperwork or not.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Why would this be a problem if you simply choose a hotel that allows pets?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:21 AM
Thank you. I made a note on my reservation, but I will give them a call in advance to make sure everything is okay and figure out what the deposit is.

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

You need to call ahead and let them know you have a dr ordered companion animal, they will charge a deposit for damages, and if there is none, you should get it back. I have had to do this several times. make sure you take your drs letter evertime you go tho, they have always asked for mine for their records. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Make sure you use proper terminology.  An emotional support animal is not a service animal and doesn't have the same rights as a true service animal.  However, a psychiatric service animal is classified as a true service animal and can go anywhere you can.

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Emotional support dogs are not counted as service dogs by the ADA, if the hotel does not allow dogs normally, they do not have to allow your dog and most likely will not let you stay there with them. There are plenty of hotels that do allow dogs, find one of those. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)