Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't understand why moms of girls under 13 care what celebrities like Taylor Swift of Katy Perry do with their time off.

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:37 AM
  • 10 Replies

They say things like " They should act like role models" !

What ? No they shouldn't...

How does your 8 year old know who they're dating, or if they have drunken photos on instagram?

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
o.O....
by Cara on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this
If you think your child should be looking up to pop stars for role models there's already something wrong with the situation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:41 AM
As a mom of 2 girls under 13, I don't care what Taylor swift or Katie perry do at all, time off or not, and neither do my girls.

I don't think they even know who Taylor swift is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:41 AM
I think any celebrity should show themselves appropriately in public... Its commun sense. They know alot of people look up to them. Im not saying dont be yourself but theres a way to present yourself just like us regular humans in the work place or as parents.
Momniscient
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:42 AM
I agree. I am my daughters role model. They may tween out on those people but those people are not my child's parent.
houseElf617
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:43 AM

THIS!! :) 

Quoting o.O....: If you think your child should be looking up to pop stars for role models there's already something wrong with the situation.

catcameback1
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:43 AM

I have a boy, but I've expained to him that musicians aren't role models, they are entertainers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Because they are bad parents with low standards? It's societies job to parent your children, no? 

PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:44 AM

It's up to the parent(s) to help a child determine what qualifies as a "role model."

If a child is aware that their favorite celebrity has gotten drunk, etc., that falls back to the parent and not the celebrity as far as addressing it responsibly.

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Apr. 10, 2015 at 12:00 PM

I find it outright hilarious that some parents bitch about what entertainers do on their own time.  They're here to entertain, not model behaviors we want our children to emulate.  What they do in their personal lives is their business alone and they should not have to conform to certain behaviors simply because a bunch of 11 yr olds like their damned music.

Makes me think of a picture of Emma Watson that surfaced some years back that showed her with a beer.  She was 18 or 19 at the time of the picture and everyone was bitching that she was a role model to children and shouldn't be drinking.  Even when it was pointed out that she is legal drinking age in her home country (and where pic was taken), people still insisted that she should have abided by US laws simply because so many American children looked up to her.

Momwifewine
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 12:01 PM
Celebrities are not role models. I hate when people say that. They are people too and they can live their lives however they please. Kids should have real role models.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)