Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We have no job. Live off the government

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
Ok yeah we have no jobs. But do not live off the government.

So will you take the time to read anyway?

My husband and I are recently out of work -_- it's terrible. We had to move in with the in laws. They don't bother. they aren't annoying or anything. We don't want to live off of anyone. We have been applying to jobs like crazy. And the In laws house it about an hour away from where we were living so that means dd is in school an hour away. My grandparents begged me to leave my dd at their house every week so they could take her with my cousins to school. They love the school so much and don't want to change her to another school (it's a private Christian school)

Anyway. We are rock bottom. We don't live off the government. We haven't even tried applying. We were hoping to God to have at least one of us a job.

I took the asvab test a few months ago for the navy and I passed. I'm 24. Now I'm thinking I should go through with it I don't know what else to do and I want my dd to have the best. You know, who doesn't want that for their kids ? What do you think?

My Dh has gone to boot camp before but was sent home to do a dental procedure that they refused to do there so he did it as has resubmitted his paperwork and is just waiting. But it's taking forever. He is 29.

Nothing is happening. I have applied to everywhere. Even if I don't have the experience ! I can't sit any longer😔

Should I just call and do this??
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:22 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:24 PM
That's definitely a decision you have to make for yourself.
Peaceful.chaos
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:26 PM
I did 22 years in the Air Force. Best decision I ever made. The military life is not for everyone but we loved it and miss it terribly. You're probably more likely to get in than he is since he's considered prior service and it's very hard to get back in. If you have questions, feel free to PM me. The benefits are outstanding and you can obtain your college degree with no loans to pay back. I recommend the military highly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:27 PM

I have a sibling that has had nothing but doors of opportunity open after a successful military career.  He is now a federal agent and has accomplished quite a lot.  I say go for it!

Ray-of-Beezy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:28 PM
The military isn't just a job, as you know, so that's a decision you and your family need to make together. I'd say if it's something you've wanted to do before hitting rock bottom then you should consider it more of a realistic option.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:32 PM

If that door is open I'd probably take it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:34 PM

I took the time to read this post even though you and your dh have no job and live off of the government. Call and do what you feel is best for your family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:47 PM
My oldest was in the Army . He wanted to join since he was 10 . He even picked his college with joining after in mind . He did , he commissioned the day he graduated . He loved being in the military but it is a whole and complete lifestyle . For him it was a great fit . He was injured in his last deployment , despite a lot of physical therapy it was decided for him to be medically retired . They have taken great care of him . Ltd of job offers but he is in his second year of law school debt free. He earned partial scholarships .
My point is this is a complete lifestyle ...a great one if it fits yall ... not just a job . Take everything into consideration and if it is a fit for you go for it and good luck .
To be honest it would have not been a fit for me but it was a great fit for my oldest . Oh ya my sr in high school has started talking about joining after college . My middle two did not so even in the same family it fits for some but not for others LOL
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:51 PM
well military life is certainly not for anyone and you do have to know that you will be moving around so you won't be able to keep your daughter in that school permanently. But if it's something you want to do it would certainly be a solutionto your problem. how does your husband feel about it though? Military spouses usually take a back seat in the career department to their spouse is he okay with that? Would he be okay with providing all the child care if you had to leave for an extended Period Of time?
KayAft
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss of a job, but be proud that you are willing (and I'm sure able) to look rely on  yourself and not government assistance.  Although never in the service I grew up as a Navy brat and still live in a Navy town.  It is definately alifestyle and not a jus a job. I'm sure your and your DH will make the right choice for you and your family.  Hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)