Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I made a kid cry, now Im the bad guy!?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:23 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

OH MY FUCK! 

My sister in law is CRAZY! And her husband (my step brother) is a total pushover. 

Brother and SIL are in town from out of state for a long weekend visit with my parents. They got in last night, and there was something happening today that all the adults needed to go to, but not the kids (some meeting, my step dad and brother/SIL are in the same line of work).  My mom had a dr.s appointment so they asked me a week ago if I could hang out with the kids for like 2 hours today.  

The kids are spoiled, bratty little hellions when their parents are around, but they listen to me pretty well once we have a little reminder conversation about how Aunty Jo means business. 

They were good. They had just started one of the Dragon movies when I got to my moms, so I played online and did a little homework and made them a snack for after the movie. 

After the movie was over we all sat down and had some cheese and crackers and fruit. My niece (6 1/2) wanted to color, so we got the crayons and paper out. Nephew (4) was eating really slowly, which was fine, so we stayed at the table with niece and I coloring and him eating his snack.  He wanted to color.  I told him that was fine, as soon as he finished eating. He can eat the rest of his food and then color, or we can put the plate in the kitchen for later and color now.  He choose to keep eating. Then he decided that he was going to color on his cheese. I told him crayons are only for paper, and held my hand out for the crayon. He gave it back, but was grumpy.  

Then he grabbed another crayon and started trying to color on his cracker.  I told him AGAIN that crayons are only for paper, if you draw on something not paper again snack time will be over and you will not be allowed to color. 

I moved the crayons farther away to help him out.  About 10 seconds later he stands up on his chair to reach a crayon and starts stabbing his food with it making a big mess with the crackers. 

I plucked the crayon out of his hand, took his snack away and told him he needed to go find something else to do since he was not listening. 

He slapped me. 

HARD!  

IN THE FACE!! 

So instead of turning him upside down and whooping his butt (which I would never do to any kid, but MAN I wanted to lol) I walked him over to the time out chair and told him he was in time out for hitting. 

And he howled like a wounded farm animal. I reminded him that his 4 minutes of time out will not start until he was quiet and set the timer out where he could see that it was not running while he was screaming (he knows this drill, this is how time out always works around me and at my moms house). 

So hes been in this chair all of maybe 10 minutes kicking and stomping, screaming the worst words he knows at me (which are all pretty mild "I hate you poopy face" "Im going to throw all your toys away" "Youre a stupid stinky head"), howling at the top of his lungs and having a little rage fit.  His face was dry as a bone. This was anger/rage/tantrum, not crying.  Not that real tears would have changed anything. 

Anyway, hes been there maybe as much as 10 minutes and the front door flys open and crashes agisnt the wall, my sister in law RUNS in, scoops him up and starts kissing all over him "Oh sweet boy whats wrong? What happened? what happened to mommys little man?"  

"Au..au..aunt Jo was MEAN TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!  WAHHHHHHHHH" and he cranks up the crocodile tears.  

So I explained that he was being rude at snack time and hit me when I told him he needed to go do something else, so I put him in time out for slapping my face (see the red mark?) and he was carrying on because he was not ready to start his time out yet. 

"OH, well, we don't do cry it out." she says.

Excuse the fuck out of me?  This child will start kindergarten in the fall.  I thought cry it out was about babies and sleep training?

So she goes over to the couch and cuddles him and pets all over him and tells me that time out is too stressful if he is upset, made him apologize for hitting me (from mommys lap) and said "I think hes learned his lesson, look how upset he is" and the turned the damn dragon movie back on for him.              

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:26 PM
2 moms liked this

yep that special snowflake will have problems in school

Firewoman33
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, she's creating a monster. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:28 PM
She will regret babying him like that soon enough. Then you can say "told ya so"

Also, don't babysit him anymore.
FrumpyPigSkin
by Don't Burn The Pig on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:31 PM
8 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

You should buy her this book
strictmomhere
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:32 PM
I would never watch them again fuck that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:33 PM
I personally would not do what you did. When you react to a child instead of responding to to them it triggers fight or flight and closes up the opportunity for learning I don't agree with what the mother did either. permissive parenting teaches nothing.
Episkey
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Time outs are stressful? Oh boy is she in for a surprise when he starts school. What happens when homework becomes too "stressful" for him, or following his teacher's rules?
KT_Mami_14
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:33 PM
She's gonna have a looong road ahead.
JoanahLee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:34 PM

omg...is this real?  I would SO spend money on this, so so worth it! 

Quoting FrumpyPigSkin:

Mobile Photo

You should buy her this book

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Just so we're clear, there's no SN right?  This child is completely neuro-typical?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)