Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Picky eaters...

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 4:53 PM
  • 8 Replies
My son is almost 15 months, he has become so picky! It's hard because he's underweight so I feel I have no choice but to serve what he likes.

He likes meat, cheese, yogurt, berries, grapes, and pasta with pesto or marinara ONLY occasionally. I offer veggies at lunch and dinner and he won't eat them. I offer beans, rice, pretty much whatever we are eating but he's so picky!

I made all of his baby food before he ate table food and he used to eat veggies :-/

For those with picky eaters, have they always been? Did they grow out of it? Also, tips to get them to eat new foods? TIA!
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SuperPickle
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 4:55 PM

My middle son is very small/undeweight for his age and he tried to be picky for a while. I felt the same way you do feeling like I HAD to give in to him just to get him to eat, but I put a stop to it and toughed it out for a few weeks and now he is a GREAT eater(still underweight, that is just him). Unless there is a true medical issue going on a healthy child will NOT starve themselves. You just have to stand firm.

RockMyBliss
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 4:56 PM
This sounds exactly like my son. He was around that age when he suddenly decided he wasn't going to eat anymore. We tried EVERYTHING. He is 5 now and still really picky, but we have a 5 bite rule for him. He has to eat 5 bites of everything on his plate and he can be done. When he turns 6, it will be 6 bites. My only advice is to hang in there!!!! It's so frustrating.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 4:57 PM
I'm in the same boat with my almost-2 year old. He is so picky. I'm not used to it because my 3 year old eats everything you set in front of her. I just give my son what he'll eat and offer what ever we are having to eat. He drinks a lot of milk, so at least he's getting some calories there. Ugh.
WaterorWine
by Wino on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:03 PM
Yeah, I need to but he isn't talking g yet so I can't tell him I eat his veggies lol. I started tossing his berries in coconut oil to add calories!

Quoting SuperPickle:

My middle son is very small/undeweight for his age and he tried to be picky for a while. I felt the same way you do feeling like I HAD to give in to him just to get him to eat, but I put a stop to it and toughed it out for a few weeks and now he is a GREAT eater(still underweight, that is just him). Unless there is a true medical issue going on a healthy child will NOT starve themselves. You just have to stand firm.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:03 PM

My oldest (now 6) tried to be picky around 2 but he eventually started eating again. There are times when he won't eat new stuff but he's a big guy (100th %tile).  Youngest ds is 3 now and eats just about everything.  They both have always preferred protein (meat, cheese, beans) and never cared much for fruit (except bananas).

SuperPickle
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I did that too...snuck in little extras like healthy fats and stuff....pediasure is a joke and just fills them up, who needs real food when I can just suck down chocolate KWIM?? I just made a meal and snack schedule and stuck to it religiously. I would fix him a plate and allow him to eat what he wanted, if he refused that was fine but that was IT until the next scheduled snack/meal...since he took in little EVERYTHING was a healthy option, no frills(not saying they were GROSS or anything, just nutrition packed) Once he started really getting into a good eating habit that is when we started re-introducing "funner" foods.

Quoting WaterorWine: Yeah, I need to but he isn't talking g yet so I can't tell him I eat his veggies lol. I started tossing his berries in coconut oil to add calories!
Quoting SuperPickle:

WaterorWine
by Wino on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:18 PM
Thank you. I try not to give him junk. Good advice!

Quoting SuperPickle:

I did that too...snuck in little extras like healthy fats and stuff....pediasure is a joke and just fills them up, who needs real food when I can just suck down chocolate KWIM?? I just made a meal and snack schedule and stuck to it religiously. I would fix him a plate and allow him to eat what he wanted, if he refused that was fine but that was IT until the next scheduled snack/meal...since he took in little EVERYTHING was a healthy option, no frills(not saying they were GROSS or anything, just nutrition packed) Once he started really getting into a good eating habit that is when we started re-introducing "funner" foods.

Quoting WaterorWine: Yeah, I need to but he isn't talking g yet so I can't tell him I eat his veggies lol. I started tossing his berries in coconut oil to add calories!

Quoting SuperPickle:

WaterorWine
by Wino on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:20 PM
I know it's common for toddlers, but my ds will not eat any veggies. I think I'll have to give him a multi vitamin. Let's hope they grow out of it!

Quoting Anonymous 1: I'm in the same boat with my almost-2 year old. He is so picky. I'm not used to it because my 3 year old eats everything you set in front of her. I just give my son what he'll eat and offer what ever we are having to eat. He drinks a lot of milk, so at least he's getting some calories there. Ugh.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)