Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

work-related question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
What exactly is considered over time? If Youre scheduled to work 8 hours from 7-3 but take a 30 minute break does that then allow me to stay 30 minutes after scheduled time or would that be considered over time?

Thanks in advance
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:27 PM
Bump
KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:30 PM
Overtime is typically anything over 40 hours a week. It doesn't really go by day. Its the weekly hour tota.
jd83
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:30 PM
Your 30 minute break is likely a paid break included in your workday if those are the hours you work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:30 PM
Overtime pay doesn't usually kick in until you reach the hourly limit of the pay period.....like 40 hours is the norm, anything over that is overtime pay.
KnotFoo
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:31 PM

Depends.

OT typically doesn't kick in until you exceed 40 hours in a work week.

Given your scenario - if you do NOT get paid for lunch, then you are only working a 37.5 hour work week not a 40. and OT would not kick in until you've exceeded 40 hours.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:34 PM

Check your state's labor poster (which must be posted in a conspicuous location) and your employee handbook. Your employer may have more generous rules than the law requires.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:34 PM

For breaks, it depends if your company pays for them or not I think. I work 10-6:30 with a half hour unpaid break, which is why they throw on that extra hour. When I was paid for breaks, I did an even 12hrs 5:30 to 5:30. The 4 extra hours weren't OT because they count the total hours over the week. As others are saying, if you do over 40 during the week it's OT. If I did 12 hours tonight it wouldn't be OT, because I didn't get even close to 40 hours this week. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:36 PM
I think it depends on the state.
zombieskayer
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:37 PM

it's usually anything over 40 hours in your work week. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:44 PM

Depends on your employer.

We get overtime if you a) go over your schedule number of hours for the day OR b) go over  your schedule hours for the week.

So if I were scheduled for an 8 hour day, anything over 8.5 hours is overtime. Since that 30 minutes doesn't count, I clock in at 7 and out at 3:30. If I stay past 3:30, that's overtime. 

We also get paid overtime if you go over your scheduled hours per week, even if you stay under your scheduld hours per day (so if I'm scheduled for 3 8-hour days and work 3 6-hour days instead, I could work another whole 6-hour day without getting overtime.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)