Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I raise my kids in the Christian church, but I don't really believe in the Bible.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

First let me say though that this is not a crazy Church. There's no mention of hell, The only "sins" they talk about in Sunday school are the normal kid ones , don't be mean, don't lie to your parents, don't steal things. They do a lot of Biblical themed arts and crafts, but it's like a boat out of chopsticks, or a coloring page of Jesus petting a lamb.

For some reason I think it's really important to raise them in the Church. For them to get this kind of relationship with what our family faith is , and then once they get to be teenagers they will undoubtly search for their own path and wherever that may lead so be it...

I do believe in the teachings of Jesus, just not all the stories crammed in there about all the random stuff.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mary716
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Whatever works for you. We decided not to have our kids go to church but to teach them that lying, cheating, stealing and being mean and rude are not tolerable. We're atheist, so church and such doesn't work for us.
lady_grace
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:00 PM

I like your philosophy. 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a fairly laid back Christian too. The biggest thing for me is to love God and love my neighbor. There isn't any hellfire and brimstone involved.
Southernmom924
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm basically 94% Agnostic and 6% Atheist; but I, too, take my children to church. Not because, I think it is important to raise them in a church, but because, I feel I am doing them no favors keeping them ignorant of something that is prevalent throughout the entire world. So we go to a non-denominational mega church, that also has a good social network and does a lot of services in the community.

So we go for informational purposes only. I don't push the religion on them and they can make up their own minds later.

lalalamama
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:04 PM
I see nothing wrong with that. I believe in God but not religion. We went to church when kids were young, now that they're older I've explained how I feel and they're old enough not to be confused by the fact that I believe without feeling the need to affiliate with a church.
Perle1
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:07 PM

I'm an atheist too but there is a lot to be learned from the teachings of the various religious figures and philosophers. In fact, it's kind of cool to see the parallels. Thich nhat Hanh has a really good book about the parallels between the teachings of Jesus and Budda. I've tried to give my son a wide view. We started in a Christian church, but I could no longer defend the dogma to myself, let alone him, after a while.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:15 PM

Whoa! 

The non-believers I know seem to be terrified and/or enraged by the mere idea of Church. I am so impressed that you are unafraid to expose your children to the world!

Quoting Southernmom924:

I'm basically 94% Agnostic and 6% Atheist; but I, too, take my children to church. Not because, I think it is important to raise them in a church, but because, I feel I am doing them no favors keeping them ignorant of something that is prevalent throughout the entire world. So we go to a non-denominational mega church, that also has a good social network and does a lot of services in the community.

So we go for informational purposes only. I don't push the religion on them and they can make up their own minds later.

Southernmom924
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 11:58 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Whoa! 

The non-believers I know seem to be terrified and/or enraged by the mere idea of Church. I am so impressed that you are unafraid to expose your children to the world!

Quoting Southernmom924:

Well, I WAS on the side of never taking my kids to church to hear all of that nonsense. Then, my 7 year old who is named Scarlett, came to me one day with a package of assorted earring that my MIL had gotten her for her birthday, and said; " I want to wear the two T's, like in my name". They were, of course, cross earrings but she only understood them as two letters of the alphabet. That's when I decided that not talking about religion at all wasn't really a good thing. Especially in a community that is about 85% Hispanic with a large Catholic population. So we go to this church with my sister's family, and it is some family time and togetherness as well, and not really any hellfire and brimstone crap like I grew up with in the Southern Baptist community.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)