Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMFG I'm going INSANE here....

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:17 PM
  • 2 Replies

DH has developed this habit of sucking his teeth.  Like every fifteen seconds or so I hear this squeak that he makes when he does it.  I've mentioned it to him but he won't stop.  This has been going on for WEEKS.  Between that and the fact that the only things he seems to be able to talk about are himself and his job and I'm just about ready to scream.  Aaargh.

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
djamommyoftwo
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Just mock him and he will realize how annoying it is and stop. Yes it's childish, but it works.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Apr. 11, 2015 at 12:08 AM

How do you break the habit of sucking the back of your teeth

Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 6 years ago.
This is a peculiar problem that we commonly see in children. At young ages, orthodontists can place a fixed retainer in the palate of the mouth, just behind the front teeth, that is rough/sharp to "break" this habit. I see that you are 53, so you probably won't be up for that idea :) 

A better option for you would be to consiously train yourself to not suck your teeth during the day, and to wear a night guard appliance at night to prevent the effects of teeth sucking when you're asleep. If you do not do this in your sleep, then that may not be required at night, and you may just need to consider wearing the night guard during the day until you break yourself of the habit. 

Another idea would be to carry sugar free mints or Tic Tacs with you and suck on them throughout the day. This can train you over time to stop sucking your teeth, and instead suck the mints. It's an excellent diversion technique. 

The only treatment to move your teeth back to their original position would orthodontics, whether braces, or Invisalign. Talk to an orthodontist if you are interested in these treatments.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/dental/1kwdn-break-habit-sucking-back-tee.html#ixzz3WyDyMmD4

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)