Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't why she doesn't understand

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
My dd is 5 and plays rough with her 1 year old brother. She made him hit his head twice today and she keeps being mean to him. I don't know why she doesn't understand not to do any of that stuff. What do i do?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:16 PM
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:16 PM
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Punish her when she is mean to him.

Make time for her to have positive interactions with you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:17 PM
Supervise very closely. Does she really not know better or is she misbehaving? Don't let her play with him if she's bejng rough.
OrangeBalloon
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:20 PM

Keep them separated as much as you can. Don't let her play with her brother until she understands that she must be careful. It is also not always unusual for kids to not understand the importance of being careful with little people. They see everything from their own point of view and if they would be okay they think anyone would be okay. 

Be firm with her. Put her in time out. Take away privileges.

jabs54
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:21 PM

For a year she should have been taught that the baby is fragile and you need to be gentle with it.  When I get a baby in my daycare I teach the children exactly what they can and can't do with the baby.  Unless she hasn't been taught how to be gentle at 5 she knows she is being rough.  She needs to be punished.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:22 PM

Explain to her that she can not be rough with her one year old brother. When she is mean to him she needs to have consequences.

jabs54
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:26 PM

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

Keep them separated as much as you can. Don't let her play with her brother until she understands that she must be careful. It is also not always unusual for kids to not understand the importance of being careful with little people. They see everything from their own point of view and if they would be okay they think anyone would be okay. 

Be firm with her. Put her in time out. Take away privileges.

I don't find that kids don't understand the importance of being careful.  My 3 and 4 yr olds know not to move something if the baby is sitting/standing on it.  They know it will make the baby fall.  Yesterday one of my kids who just turned 4 needed to use the bathroom and a baby was laying in her way and she froze and looked at me and waited until I moved the baby rather than stepping over her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:30 PM
What are you doing already?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:32 PM
I do both

Quoting happymommy1105: Punish her when she is mean to him.

Make time for her to have positive interactions with you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)