Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Buying my parents a house because I can't bare to see them in filth!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
So my parents have lived in the same tiny apartment for over 40 yrs. It was my grandmother's apartment and she gave it to my dad. It is rent controlled in the projects in the heart of a major city. My parents are by no means dirty, unclean or untidy. They sweep and mop every other day and dust the apartment every day. They no longer work, so they're always home. They dont leave dishes in the sink and the trash is thrown out every day. However, over the years the neighborhood has gone to crap. People throwing trash out their windows, breaking the front door so anyone can just come into the building and people peeing in the elevator and stairway. Its disgusting!!! Now, my parents have a roach problem. We've bombed the apartment ...put down crap in the cabinets and behind all of the appliances. It gets better for a few weeks...but with 120 apartments in the building.... It doesn't last long. The maintenance people for the building have told us that there are apartments utterly infested with mics and roaches and these people won't get exterminated (even though it is at no cost to them).

So, I'm relocating in three mths for a new job. I was going to rent when I moved but now ive decided to buy a house and have my parents move in with me. They're senior citizens with health problems. They deserve something nice and clean and not live in filth due to other people.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 2:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on May. 5, 2015 at 2:44 AM
Can you blame the owners for letting it fall apart? They want your parents to move out so they can raise the rent. What do they pay?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:45 AM
Is there a reason they never moved out to begin with? Good for you!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 2:58 AM
The city owns their apartment. Not a private landlord. It is actually income based low income housing. They're rent is 600 dollars a month.

Quoting LovlyRita: Can you blame the owners for letting it fall apart? They want your parents to move out so they can raise the rent. What do they pay?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 2:59 AM
They were never able to afford anything else. It was never this bad before. I have fond memories in this apartment and the neighborhood from my childhood.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Is there a reason they never moved out to begin with? Good for you!
jenib360
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:05 AM
I think this is awesome of you! They do not need to be living near people like that. Especially at their ages. I hope you are able to get them out of there as soon as possible!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 3:08 AM
Thanks. My mom is super excited. She said she wants a garden in the backyard. Lol my dad asked me if he can have pets. Whatever they want. So long as they're happy and comfortable.

Quoting jenib360: I think this is awesome of you! They do not need to be living near people like that. Especially at their ages. I hope you are able to get them out of there as soon as possible!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2015 at 3:15 AM
If the government owns the apartment,how did your grandmother give it to them?
jenib360
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:16 AM
Aww! I hope everything works out for you. Your a wonderful daughter.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thanks. My mom is super excited. She said she wants a garden in the backyard. Lol my dad asked me if he can have pets. Whatever they want. So long as they're happy and comfortable.

Quoting jenib360: I think this is awesome of you! They do not need to be living near people like that. Especially at their ages. I hope you are able to get them out of there as soon as possible!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 3:17 AM
My dads name was on the lease.. She moved back to Puerto Rico and removed her name. Its not that hard. My parents could give me or any of our siblings the apartment if we wanted it.

Quoting Anonymous 3: If the government owns the apartment,how did your grandmother give it to them?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 3:21 AM
Awwww, thanks. I want to do this for them. My parents went through a lot when I was younger. Always in the hospital and stuff. Then when I first had my oldest, I left his dad. They let me move in with them with my son and I didnt have to pay rent or anything. They also provided free child care to me. They are by no means the best parents in the world...but they are awesome. The good out weighs the bad and I want to do this for them.

Quoting jenib360: Aww! I hope everything works out for you. Your a wonderful daughter.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thanks. My mom is super excited. She said she wants a garden in the backyard. Lol my dad asked me if he can have pets. Whatever they want. So long as they're happy and comfortable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)