Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yoga ladies....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
Are there any fat women in your classe?
Are your overweight and do yoga successfully?
I am a fatty at 5'7" and 193 pounds but I'd like to try yoga. I've never done it before and not sure if I even can.
I fear the embarrassment of being the only fat chick there.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 5, 2015 at 8:29 AM
You can do it. I had women of all shapes and sizes in my BodyFlow class a few years ago. It was a combination of Tai Chi, yoga and Pilates.
wkukid
by Beach Bum on May. 5, 2015 at 8:31 AM
You can do it. There are women of all sizes in yoga. There are also modified positions if you can't quite manage a position.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 8:32 AM
Scroll down a bit and there's a place to search for places near you
http://www.curvyyoga.com/
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2015 at 8:35 AM

I do yoga at home. I'm still overweight from pregnancy, I'm 5'3" and 160. It takes time to get used to it, I started slow, 40 minutes a day, then worked my way up to 90 minutes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 8:39 AM
Thanks. I'm so nervous. I'm old too. 45. Not as spry as I used to be. lol
Guess I won't know until I try.

Quoting Danesmommy1: You can do it. I had women of all shapes and sizes in my BodyFlow class a few years ago. It was a combination of Tai Chi, yoga and Pilates.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 8:40 AM
Thanks.
I guess I'll do some research and see what's available in my area.

Quoting wkukid: You can do it. There are women of all sizes in yoga. There are also modified positions if you can't quite manage a position.
Djinn83
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 8:40 AM

Newcomers to yoga, regardless of their size, struggle for awhile. Nobody cares. If you didn't strugglewhen first starting out then the exercises are worthless.

and yes, there are bigger girls in my classes. Some struggle, some have great endurance. But regardless of your current fitness level, struggling is the point. There would be no benefit if it were easy. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 8:41 AM
Cool! Thank you so much!!!

Quoting Anonymous 2: Scroll down a bit and there's a place to search for places near you
http://www.curvyyoga.com/
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 8:42 AM
I've thought about starting at home. I'm just worried about doing it wrong and injuring myself.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I do yoga at home. I'm still overweight from pregnancy, I'm 5'3" and 160. It takes time to get used to it, I started slow, 40 minutes a day, then worked my way up to 90 minutes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 8:43 AM
This is true. Never thought of it this way before.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Quoting Djinn83:

Newcomers to yoga, regardless of their size, struggle for awhile. Nobody cares. If you didn't strugglewhen first starting out then the exercises are worthless.

and yes, there are bigger girls in my classes. Some struggle, some have great endurance. But regardless of your current fitness level, struggling is the point. There would be no benefit if it were easy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)