• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ugh its freaking rec ball!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

My youngest DD had a softball game last night. She plays 8U and is 6 years old. Most of the girls on the team are 6 and 7 years old. We have a couple girls turning 8 soon but only like 3 out of 13. Anyways, the coach decided to try some girls in new positions, which was cool, I thought it was good to let them learn new things. Well he asked my daughter if someone threw her the ball at 1st could she catch it...of course she said yes....lol she is 6 and yes she can catch a ball.

Well she did get an out...I was super proud because she fielded the ball and tagged the girl on her own :) But she didn't do great the whole time lol...she kept forgetting to cover the bag and was going after the ball instead...but once the coach walked over there and told her to stay on the bag she did much better. He ended up putting her on shortstop though and she did great there, the other girl he put on 1st had trouble catching the ball but again they are LEARNING.

Anyways what annoyed me was we ended up losing 7-5...no biggie. But one of the dads walked past me and said loudly in front of the girls "I told coach not to mess with our infield anymore! Some of these girls have no business on the infield!" Are you kidding me????? It is rec ball! Where they are supposed to LEARN. Parents like him make me sick. And I have an older daughter who plays select travel softball. I know how competitve and serious it can get at that level. But come on...I love the game and I love to watch my girls play. But sometimes the drama can suck the fun out of it.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:12 AM

It is sad that some parents are more about winning at that age than learning

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 9:42 AM

It really is...we are very involved in softball because of my oldest, we spend most weekends on the field, and I have witnessed some crazy parents, but with the amount of money and time spent I can normally just ignore parents acting crazy...lol. But maybe I'm just more sensitive because its my baby...but I really thought it was completely out of line.

Quoting othermom:

It is sad that some parents are more about winning at that age than learning

witzandglitz
by Queen Lollipop on May. 5, 2015 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
That guy thought he was the shit on the field while in his glory years of HS. Has the trophy to prove it.
Snapdragon88
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
That is so ridiculous. What a jerk.
chillemi78
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Hmmm, I wonder if his wife is the one who posted about the sports commitment being more important than family yesterday, lol!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 9:48 AM

That is so sad.  DS is playing little league and his division is "instructional"--the coach pitches and we are required to move everyone every 2 innings (DH and I coach).  Yes, some kids are better than others but we will follow all rules and all kids will play.  We made sure the parents on our team were aware of the rules.  So far, no complaints. 

chalisa0
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Yeah, you have to ignore jerks like that.  You are absolutely right and he's a big jerk. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 9:53 AM

lol...I must've missed that one...but I wouldn't be surprised!! HAHA

Quoting chillemi78: Hmmm, I wonder if his wife is the one who posted about the sports commitment being more important than family yesterday, lol!

bleumonster
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:56 AM
These are the years they learn and try different positions. I agree OP. What a jerk!
monshine2
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:58 AM
ive known way to many of those kinds of parents over the years!
Your league has 6 yr olds playing 8U? You don't have a 6U division?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)