Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have PTSD

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

Does anyone else on here have PTSD???  I was diagnosed a few years back by my therapist. I'm a sexual/child abuse survivor. My entire childhood was an absolute nightmare. I have a lot of problems that stem from my PTSD, it really sucks but I keep myself going for my kids. They are honestly the reason I am here and wake up everyday. My doctor wants me to go back to to therapy (my anxiety is getting worse) but I really don't want to go. I stopped going because all the therapist wants me to do is talk about what happened. I do not want to go into detail about what happened to me and have to keep reliving it, I really don't understand the point. Just saying the words and having to think about it makes me sick.

Why is therapy the only option??

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
graybealgirl
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:27 AM
I have it so bad. My mom said they told her when I was 12 I had it. She thought I was trying to get attention. So never got me help. Now my therapist said it's dangerous to be left untreated. My therapist said because it had been 27 years it really messed me up. I now have severe extreme psychosis. I'm in weekly therapy and 3 different meds to stop the voices and help me sleep
katyusha42
by Metal Kitty on May. 5, 2015 at 10:27 AM
I was diagnosed earlier this year. My doctor is really pushing for me to get this light therapy....I forgot what it was called. I'll see if I can find the info. Supposedly they have had great success with returning war vets.
Gothicgypsy3
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:28 AM

I have PTSD from childhood abuse and an abusive marriage. I've been going to my therapist for 12 years. She is amazing! I was on meds for awhile but I hated the feeling of being dazed out all the time. Meds often made it so much worse. My therapist taught me how to manage my anxiety with breathing and mental coaching. talking it through actually helped me. By saying it, I could face it and make it less frightening. I've overcome so much with my therapy and I'm so much happier and healthier. I still have bad days and nightmares, I still have flashbacks and triggers, but my therapist helps with all of that and I don't feel so alone. She also helped me find a support group of other survivor and I've made some really amazing, inspiring people.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Quoting graybealgirl: I have it so bad. My mom said they told her when I was 12 I had it. She thought I was trying to get attention. So never got me help. Now my therapist said it's dangerous to be left untreated. My therapist said because it had been 27 years it really messed me up. I now have severe extreme psychosis. I'm in weekly therapy and 3 different meds to stop the voices and help me sleep

Do they make you talk about what happened to you the whole time?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I have PTSD. More like complex trauma. Cognitive therapy is there to make you tell your story and after you tell it so many times, it releases that shame and fear and all that stuff you feel decreases. It works for a lot of people. Like you, I have a hard time with cognitive therapy. In the last 3 years I have been doing emdr therapy and it has helped me more than the 10 years of cognitive therapy before it. Regardless of what you think, therapy is the best approach bc pushing it down and ignoring it just adds to the shame and worsens the PTSD. Many things aren't pleasant when it comes to healing. Chemo is miserable I understand but people do it to heal. That's the treatment prescribed. PTSD treatment is therapy and it's not pleasant but in order to heal you have to do it. Gl
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 10:30 AM
It's called emdr and it's amazing

Quoting katyusha42: I was diagnosed earlier this year. My doctor is really pushing for me to get this light therapy....I forgot what it was called. I'll see if I can find the info. Supposedly they have had great success with returning war vets.
katyusha42
by Metal Kitty on May. 5, 2015 at 10:34 AM
Yes! That's what it was. I'm trying to find a therapist that accepts my insurence but I'm hopeful it will help.

Quoting Anonymous 2: It's called emdr and it's amazing

Quoting katyusha42: I was diagnosed earlier this year. My doctor is really pushing for me to get this light therapy....I forgot what it was called. I'll see if I can find the info. Supposedly they have had great success with returning war vets.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 10:36 AM
It's the only thing I've seen a lot of progress with in my own journey.

Quoting katyusha42: Yes! That's what it was. I'm trying to find a therapist that accepts my insurence but I'm hopeful it will help.

Quoting Anonymous 2: It's called emdr and it's amazing

ACrystalLilly
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:44 AM

I am sending Angels to you for help in this area - they will help to keep you calm and less anxious.  They will give you strength and persistence to receive the answers necessary for your correct course of treatment in this area.  Ask the angels to help guide you in the direction of health, wellness and understanding of your diagnosis so that you may be a knowledgable and pro active patient on your own behalf.

Good Luck 

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:47 AM

I have PTSD from surviving a major earthquake.  Cognitive behavioral therapy is really helping.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)