• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if your kid goes from 70-80% down to 15-20% in height & weight would you be worried?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
At 3 he was in the higher % he's been steadily declining & now at 4.5 is 15%
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamanthaSage
by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:21 AM
Yeah, I'd probably be a bit worried. What had his doctor said?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 11:24 AM
To wait to see if he hits a growth spurt & at 5 he's still dropping we can worry but I feel like that 6 months wasted when we can check it out now.

Quoting SamanthaSage: Yeah, I'd probably be a bit worried. What had his doctor said?
MicheleJM
by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:25 AM

get a second opinion if you're worried.

Quoting Anonymous 1: To wait to see if he hits a growth spurt & at 5 he's still dropping we can worry but I feel like that 6 months wasted when we can check it out now.
Quoting SamanthaSage: Yeah, I'd probably be a bit worried. What had his doctor said?

SamanthaSage
by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:26 AM
Tell the doc you'd rather not wait.

Quoting Anonymous 1: To wait to see if he hits a growth spurt & at 5 he's still dropping we can worry but I feel like that 6 months wasted when we can check it out now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 11:27 AM
Ok I just wasn't sure if I was overreacting. Thanks :)

Quoting MicheleJM:

bc19
by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Yes, in that young of a child in that time frome I would be worried about him. 

Twiceblessedmom
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:31 AM
Yes, they need to check now, that is a huge discrepancy over a period of time and exactly why they track these things so as to be clued in to potential issues. Pursue it. Good luck mama!
MicheleJM
by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Some pediatricians have a "wait and see" attitude that I don't like.  I see nothing wrong with a second opinion if you feel it's necessary.  Is he eating well?  Does he seem to be thirsty a lot, hungry all the time, peeing excessively?  Is he tired a lot?  If he has other worrisome symptoms then sure I'd have it checked out.  On the other hand he could be slimming down and that would be a good thing.  I can't really tell so that's why I said get it checked out.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Ok I just wasn't sure if I was overreacting. Thanks :)
Quoting MicheleJM:

smorgan865
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:38 AM

If he's been steadily declining on a curve, then it's probably just where he'll be. Sudden drops like that would be a cause for concern. I think a second opinion would be good.

My oldest was aways 70-90% for weight as a toddler, and is now down to 40-50% at age 6. My DH and I are both underweight, so we figured he'd get there at some point. He grows a few inches each year, without gaining much weight. Neither I or our doctor are concerned because it's still a steady fall.

Mad_Madam_Mim
by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:39 AM
Yeah that would seriously bother me. Both of my kids have always been on the higher end (like 95-99.9+) for height and if they dropped off that fast I would be concerned.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)