Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

While grocery shopping a woman asked what................

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 288 Replies

disability I had that required a service dog.  She was buying milk and I was at the next section to buy butter.  We were about 30 feet apart (?) and she wanted to know what was 'wrong' with me that I required a service dog.  How would you have answered this question?

This is not the first time I have been asked about my service dog.  99% of the time I would rather educate the public about what a service dog does and how he does his job.  That does not mean I will give answers about medical issues I have.  That is really nobodies business but mine and my doctors.  But, that is what people want to hear.  I have the 'about a service dog' speech down to about 3 minutes and I cover the basics.  This woman, though, wanted to know how I became disabled, how that disability changed my life, basically she wanted the low down and dirty information that was just creepy.  There are some questions that are just not answerable.  What say you?  What would you have said?  How would you answer tactfully i.e. "I don't feel comfortable discussing this issue" or "I'm sorry, I don't disclose that information" 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
terra221
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:35 AM
77 moms liked this
I would ask what happened to her that damaged the part of her brain used for manners.
littlebearbead
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:37 AM
58 moms liked this
He keeps me from attacking nosey people.
ILovemyPaulie
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

This is what I would say also.

Quoting littlebearbead: He keeps me from attacking nosey people.

SimplyEnchanted
by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:39 AM
3 moms liked this

"Oh, I'm sorry. I just don't feel comfortable talking about my disability. It's too difficult for me." 

You said it fine. (hugs)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this
I have no problem talking about it, I'd just tell her....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 5, 2015 at 11:42 AM
9 moms liked this
I'm sorry but I think if you "have" to have your service dog in public then you shouldnt be ashamed to have your dog. If he is performing a service then those people can ask. It's like wearing a breast cancer shirt and expecting people not to ask questions. Whenever anyone ask my son who is 6, he has no issues explaining why he has a dog, rides in a wheelchair, wears a mask. Sounds like you can't justfy your dog and are ashamed. Is it an actual service dog or a therapy dog?
lukesmom2002
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have ignored her. She isn't entitled to know anything about your or your reasons for needing a service dog.  It was rude of her to ask.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 5, 2015 at 11:44 AM
I think it's a natural curiosity to an extent. your answers above are perfect.

There is also the polar opposite, when you are around a disabled person, who wants to open share every detail, and discuss their time their colostomy bag got stuck on and the clip end Popped open.

I do feel that was over the top of her. If I wondered, my question would be "do you openly discuss your disability and service animal?"
notuseless
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:44 AM
9 moms liked this
No, she has a right to privacy, the lady was being rude.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Well if you are entitled to have a service dog then she is entitled to know why.

lol

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:44 AM
4 moms liked this

I would have answered all of her questions if I had time. Some people are curious and generally dont know that even some people who look perfectly healthy are not always. I would use it as a way to educate like you mentioned. I would also answer because for all I know she or someone she loves has been diagnosed with some sort of disability and she is trying to get as much personal knowledge as possible. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)