Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Apparently my dd's teacher is worried about her eating

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 97 Replies

My kid is a veggie/fruit fanatic. She packs lots of them in her lunch. Today was an apple, celery, carrots, cauliflower, peach, and a banana. Plus peanut butter, rice crackers, home made turkey jerky, and some cheese.

My dd is 12 and 5 ft tall and 60 lbs.  She is very thin.  The teacher bought her a school lunch and told her to eat it.  She doesn't eat the school lunch because of food allergies which the teacher knows.  All of the sudden she is concerned about my dds weight.  She is a competitive dancer and very active.  When she isn't dancing at the studio she is dancing at home or outside playing.  She rarely sits still unless she is asleep.  Even in the car she is using exercise bands to stretch or whatever. 

Now my dd feels like she needs to put on weight.  She is a healthy eater.  She enjoys her snacks as well.  She just stays active and burns off what she eats.

ETA....She is under a doctors care.  She has celiacs.  She has gained weight in the last year.  There is a picture of her somewhere on the post.  She eats very well.  She was only diagnosed recently. Part of celiacs is failure to thrive in children. Her school knows this.  Yes she is active.  Yes she loves to be on the move.  She has been dancing since she was four and competing since six.  

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catcameback1
by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:57 AM
3 moms liked this

I would be speaking to the principal.  The teacher is WAY overstepping as well as breaking policy.  She has NO RIGHT to pull that crap.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 11:57 AM

60 pounds sounds underweight.  my very trim athletic tall dancing 8 year old is 65 pounds.

KenneMaw
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:59 AM

First, teacher was very wrong and overstepping boundaries to buy your DD a lunch and ask her to eat it.  

As for your DD, does she make comments about her body, does she count calories or have a negative relationship with food?  Does she feel the need to exercise to burn off calories?   If so, then that would cause me concern.   As for her food choices, I would make sure she is getting enough protein.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous 2:

60 pounds sounds underweight.  my very trim athletic tall dancing 8 year old is 65 pounds.

She was even lighter. But once we figured out food allergies she started putting on weight and growing taller.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Quoting KenneMaw:

First, teacher was very wrong and overstepping boundaries to buy your DD a lunch and ask her to eat it.  

As for your DD, does she make comments about her body, does she count calories or have a negative relationship with food?  Does she feel the need to exercise to burn off calories?   If so, then that would cause me concern.   As for her food choices, I would make sure she is getting enough protein.

My kid is an eater.  She doesn't count calories or anything like that.  She just prefers healthy foods.  She prefers to be active.

firespurity
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 12:02 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm five one, built small in frame. 90 is small for me and technically underweight. 85 I'd look sickly. She's only one inch shorter than me. That's not a healthy weight. I think the teachers concern is justified, but poorly implemented.
Spam72
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Mobile Photo

That's pretty small though. My daughter is 5 ft 4 and 110 pounds. She's clearly also a competitive dancer and just turned 13. Your daughter is only a few inches shorter and half her weight???
The teacher should talk to the nurse though. It's not her job to deal with medical concerns.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2015 at 12:04 PM

I can see though why a teacher may become concerned.  My child who is a full foot shorter is that weight.  So she probably looks extremely unhealthy.  The teacher probably means no harm and thinks she is trying to help. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:
Quoting Anonymous 2:

She was even lighter. But once we figured out food allergies she started putting on weight and growing taller.

angelachristine
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 12:07 PM

I agree, My dd is autistic (so a terribly picky eater) at one point she was down to 64 pounds at 4'9 and you could see her ribs so to be 5 foot at that weight is worse. I would try to get her to drink protien shakes or eat healthy things that are a little more calorie dense. 

Quoting firespurity: I'm five one, built small in frame. 90 is small for me and technically underweight. 85 I'd look sickly. She's only one inch shorter than me. That's not a healthy weight. I think the teachers concern is justified, but poorly implemented.

sheramom4
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 12:08 PM

My 13 year old DD is a touch over 5 feet and 88 lbs....she is stick thin. 60 lbs at that height seems very underweight. Have you spoken to a nutritionist or her doctor about adding more healthy fats into her diet or higher calorie foods that still fall within her restrictions? 

It sounds like the teacher meant well but did overstep a bit. If she has a concern she should refer your daughter to the counselor on campus, not try to force her to eat a school lunch and then call you and express her concerns. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)