Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I make money with my skills?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Help! I need some money coming in!  My best and most honed skill is typing.  Right now, I can type 68 wpm but with more practice and after cutting my nails (haha) I know I can get it up to at least 70.  I'm a great editor and proofreader. The problem is I have no formal training or schooling for any of it.  

I learned to type well in high school and I edited my friends notes to their boyfriends because I was the only one who could spell. LOL! Remember notes??

I notice a lot of spelling/grammar/punctuation errors in books and everything else I read.  

I took all the composition and literature classes I could in high school and even while going to community college for childcare.

I feel like I can do something with all of this.  I've always been in childcare but I'm pretty burned out on that now.  I only watch one baby and he's super good.  With my 2 that means I have 3 kiddos all day but I know I could make some time to work at home, I just have no clue how to start or where to go!  Anymore college right now is not financially or logistically an option.

Any help or direction would be appreciated! Thanks!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 12:32 PM

I don't know of anywhere that will hire an editor that hasn't gone to school for it, whether they are in school currently or have a degree.  Why don't you try some freelance writing?

shadow_lark
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 12:32 PM
I would offer up help as a proofreader for middle and high school students. Get one or two people to start with, and once they see you do a good job they will refer you to others.

As for typing, not sure how much of a market there is, but I'm sure there are some out there that would love to have hand written documents typed. Also I found working in a retirement home that some of the families wanted their loved ones stories on paper but didn't have the time themselves. You could offer services to type as they dictate. Family gets their type, loved one gets to talk story, you get some money.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Prostitution.

caustinb
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 12:35 PM
Transcription of some kind? I've seen postings on here of companies that do hire for transcription services, but I don't know any personally.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 12:35 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I don't know of anywhere that will hire an editor that hasn't gone to school for it, whether they are in school currently or have a degree.  Why don't you try some freelance writing?

That's a good idea.  Here's something funny... I can write, and can write well but it intimidates me for some reason.  I need to get over that!  Thank you for your suggestion. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 5, 2015 at 12:35 PM
I noticed a couple of errors in your OP. Nothing major, but I was going to suggest proofreading for court reporters, and they require top-notch skills. Maybe you could contact a few and offer your services and just see what happens.
WrongWayDiva
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 12:38 PM

Can you 10-key?   Claims processing for healthcare companies require a high wpm and accuracy rate.   Is there a headquarters near you?  Many of them offer work at home deals too, after you get in with them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 12:50 PM

Quoting Anonymous 4: I noticed a couple of errors in your OP. Nothing major, but I was going to suggest proofreading for court reporters, and they require top-notch skills. Maybe you could contact a few and offer your services and just see what happens.

Lol, there's always one.

Thanks for your suggestion.

MeaganP
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 12:53 PM
Put a ad on Craig's list and see what you get

Also put ip flyers at a college

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Quoting WrongWayDiva:

Can you 10-key?   Claims processing for healthcare companies require a high wpm and accuracy rate.   Is there a headquarters near you?  Many of them offer work at home deals too, after you get in with them.

Yes, I love 10-Key!  I taught myself at my first job as a cashier at Wal-Mart when I was 16. Lol!  I hated having to look back and forth while trying to type in barcodes. I was like" F-this, the keys are always in the same spot, I've got this!"

I will have to look into healthcare as well.  Thank you so much for your suggestion! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)