Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You don't want to come get your kid? I just called your emergency contact and she's on her way! UPDATE! For those who care ;)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 311 Replies
8 moms liked this

Update: I am fine lol.  Just a slight headache this morning.  

Anyway, I told the mom at drop off this morning that she has until the end of next week to find a new provider.  I told her that while I understand not being able to leave her job with a moment's notice, I did not understand why I could not call the person on her emergency contact sheet.  She said she'd gotten into a fight with her sister and that she didn't want her taking her son.  I said that that was something that I should have been aware of.  I need written documents stating who can and most importantly who CANNOT take her child.  (this is something she was well aware of before yesterday) I follow all important protocol when it comes to someone taking a child from my care.  I ID people I don't know, I will call the parent if someone shows up that I was unaware would be showing up and I take it very seriously. 

So she said she could take legal action for calling her contact after she told me not to.  I said she should have made sure I had an updated contact if she had changed it.  

She continued to want to argue with me, so I decided to end it right then as more kids were coming in for the day.  I told her that she had until the end of THIS week, not next, as I was generous in giving her the extra week when I didn't have to.  She got even more annoyed and left.  Her son is with me today, but I have a feeling he won't be tomorrow or Friday.  

While the kids were all having breakfast, I called the first family on my waiting list and I have twins starting on Monday.  So not only am I getting rid of a client that was NOT an ideal client, I'm going to be making slightly more than I was because I'm taking two more kids, not just one.  

I did contact my lawyer too, just to cover my bases, so that is documented too.  I don't think I have to worry about her taking legal action, but just in case she tries to, I have it all documented.  

Have a nice day ladies! And thank you all, those of you who sent me well wishes, I am feeling much much better. 

I have an in home day care.  I just had to use my epi-pen because a bee came into my house (it must have been when I was bringing all the kids in and the door was open for a bit) and I stepped on it with my bare feet. Most of the kids are already gone, moms having jumped up and come right over when I called and told them what happened.  One mom, however, refuses to leave work.  She's "too busy" right now to come and get her son.

Umm, I have to go to the hospital lady!  My hands are shaking and I'm just waiting for this woman's sister to come get her nephew.  She refused to come, said he could come to the hospital with me! WTH? So I hung up, called her sister (her emergency info had her down) I explained the situation and she dropped everything and is on her way.  My mom left work to stay with my two, and my dh left work to bring me to the hospital.

She'll be getting a notice tomorrow, and I'll speak directly to her tomorrow, and let her know she has the rest of this week and next to find a new sitter.  I'm done with her. 

OK, for all you women with poor reading skills:

*I was NOT outside with bare feet.  The bee was INSIDE the damn house.

*I DO NOT wear shoes in my house, no one does.

*I am licensed for ME ONLY...I cannot hire an assistant or extra staff.

*This mom refused to let me call her contact, refused to let my mom take him and told me "take him to the hospital" with me.

*This is NOT the first time I've had an issue with this particular client.  This is the last straw.

*I was up front with EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY CLIENTS before beginning to work for them.  I'm alone here, I'm allergic to bees, I carry an Epi-pen, if I have to use it, I HAVE to go to the hospital to be monitored.

*THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IN FIVE YEARS THAT I'VE HAD TO SEND THE KIDS HOME.  I'VE NEVER EVEN CALLED IN SICK.  

I'M RELIABLE, RESPONSIBLE AND ALL OF MY CLIENTS LOVE ME.  

And since I'll be losing a client, I'll call the first person on my waiting list and let them know that I will have an opening soon.

I'm fine by the way, just being monitored right now.  Heart rate is slightly high, other than that, I should be going home in the next few hours.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Liastele
by Lauren on May. 5, 2015 at 1:20 PM

I'm so sorry. I hope you are ok :( How scary.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 1:21 PM
4 moms liked this
I kind of see her point I must admit. You obviously need another assistant.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 1:23 PM
6 moms liked this

This is the risk SHE took when she decided to bring her son to me.  She knew I was on my own and that this was a possibliity.

I have had her son for four years and this is the FIRST time I've ever called and needed the kids picked up.  I've never called out sick either.  

Quoting Anonymous 2: I kind of see her point I must admit. You obviously need another assistant.

catcameback1
by on May. 5, 2015 at 1:23 PM

hope you're ok!

Rachael-Dawn
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 1:24 PM
I take it yiu are ultimately alright and not still in the hospital? My mom was allergic to bees. Serious stuff. She always said she blew up like a balloon. Never saw it though. I wouldn't even be giving her as much time as you are. You are MUCH nicer than I would be about it!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2015 at 1:24 PM
6 moms liked this
Isn't that what emergency contacts are for? Why would you drop her after one incident.
SadAquarius
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 1:25 PM
4 moms liked this
You're being too nice. Today should be your last day watching her kid.
sjenkins8208
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 1:25 PM
I hope you're okay!
MicheleJM
by on May. 5, 2015 at 1:25 PM
5 moms liked this

As someone who regularly travels 40 minutes away to run a sallelite office alone I agree.  I can't always drop everything and be to my babysitter's in 10 minutes.  It is horrible that this mom took this attitude but sometimes it happens.  You might need backup yourself if this happens again.  Or the emergency contact came and got the child what is to worry over?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I kind of see her point I must admit. You obviously need another assistant.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 1:25 PM
5 moms liked this
Yet even after four years you obviously do not care about this child. You are also so injured that you can not watch him but you can be online?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

This is the risk SHE took when she decided to bring her son to me.  She knew I was on my own and that this was a possibliity.

I have had her son for four years and this is the FIRST time I've ever called and needed the kids picked up.  I've never called out sick either.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)