Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a learning disability?

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 1:37 PM
  • 45 Replies

If yes, what is it and how does it affect your life?

I have dyscalculia.  When I was in school it was hell, but as an adult it doesn't affect me much.  Just in annoying way, I have a hard time my hair in the mirror, I have a hard time reading crochet patterns if they are charts or math involved, I recently made an afghan out of square and the entire picture came out reversed, I don't know why or how to fix it.  I don't recognise people when I see them in unexpected places, I've even walked by my own twin sister (not identical) and not known it was her until she spoke to me. 

by on May. 5, 2015 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catcameback1
by on May. 5, 2015 at 1:39 PM

BUMP!

bresmommy21
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 1:39 PM

I do not personally, but my oldest brother and husband do.

catcameback1
by on May. 5, 2015 at 1:43 PM

What learning disabilities do they have?

Quoting bresmommy21:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2015 at 1:44 PM

I grew up in the 70s when they did not label kids.  I always struggled horribly in math( I still do).  I remember from first grade on, how awful it was.  I remember my mom trying to teach me how to add/subtract and it was so hard for me.  I remember dad trying to help me with Jr. High math and getting so frustrated with me. Somehow, I managed to work through it and got my MA degree.  

Momwifewine
by on May. 5, 2015 at 1:44 PM
No, I don't.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 1:44 PM
What is dyscalculia
bresmommy21
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Quoting catcameback1:

What learning disabilities do they have?

Quoting bresmommy21:

My oldest brother has dyslexia, my mother tried so hard to get him help in school but back then it wasnt as big of a deal. He graduated with his class, but struggled all the way through school. He has a very hard time comprehending things, documents, directions, etc. My husband never graduated past 10th grade I believe. He has comprehension problems, focusing issues, he also suffers from SEVERE mental illness.

ladyvamp5489
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 1:46 PM

what is that? my son has been dx dyslexic but has the same issues you have described. He was crossing his eyes when he was a kid to try to read and they had to give him special glasses. 

SmilingSparklin
by BeerFairy on May. 5, 2015 at 1:46 PM
I have ADHD. Don't know if that counts or not.

Want to smack every teacher I had who treated me like shit and rub my masters degree in their faces.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2015 at 1:48 PM
I think I May have one, I had a really hard time in school.the school even wanted me to be tested but my dad refused, "because no one in his family could be like that ".
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)