Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those who pay a full-time rate for childcare...

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 1:52 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hi ladies, I have been doing in-home childcare for 2.5 years now. I started out with just charging a weekly rate, or that same weekly rate divided by 5 for daily rate. Last year, everyone decided to flake out and I made very little some weeks. With my newest client, I implemented a higher daily rate. Now they have decided to flake out some weeks. I did not used to agree with someone paying when their child didn't come.. NOW I get it.

So, tell me why you as parents are comfortable with paying for days you don't use. I guess I kind of want to understand the mindset of that type of parent so that when I'm asked about it, I can feel good about explaining if necessary. I get it for ME (as in, I won't be here to watch their children much longer if I can't depend on a steady income) but what is your mindset as parents that you understand the necessity of it?

I plan on allowing them a vacation week and I will not charge for my 2 weeks that I typically take.

Thank you in advance!!

by on May. 5, 2015 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2015 at 1:58 PM
Our childcare centre has a weekly flat rate (and it all adds up to a monthly rate). We pay it regardless if our dd goes to the centre or not because that's just how it is. There are centers here where you pay by the day and number of hours your child is at the centre but opted out of that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:00 PM
The main reason they should pay whether the child goes or not, is so their child's spot is guaranteed.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:05 PM

I dont pay for it anymore. When I did, I didn't really like paying for days we didn't go, but I understood it this way. The way I looked at it is that the daycare has a certain number of slots and if my kid is taking on of those, that is costing the daycare money whether I am there or not. I am paying for a slot. If I dont pay for it, there is no guarantee I will have child care. Its not a first come first serve type of business.

My daycare provider set it up to where we paid ahead of time. So I was on a bi-weekly pay schedule, every other friday. I would pay for the following 2 weeks. So she was never out money if we didn't show up. 

iamme1986
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:08 PM
The daycare dd went to (in home licensed ) is $18 a day. I had to sign a contract for so many days a week and if she went more then I could I pay extra but if she went less then I still had to pay the rate per the contract.
Hafsa1
by on May. 5, 2015 at 2:20 PM
They aren't paying for you to watch the child, they are paying for that opening. Whether the parents want to use all the time or part is on them but they pay for the full time. This is why contracts are good to have. If they flake out because they want to go on vacation without paying you, and give you two weeks notice, that's fine. Open the spot for adding someone else. Let the parents know that you cannot guarantee a space if their child is no longer enrolled. When they come back to start care, make them pay for that vacation time, otherwise decline it.

When a parent enrolls their child into a private school, they don't pick and choose what dates they don't feel like paying. They pay whether their child attends or not, it's the same idea..
nomadbrat83
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:24 PM
I don't like paying when my child is not there, but I understand and do it. Of course it's been years since my children went to an in-home daycare (they have been at centers for several years). Now if my provider is sick or something and I have to find back up care or take off work then I don't think I should pay. What are you charging?
Gloria1025
by on May. 5, 2015 at 2:33 PM

The daycare my children went to charged a monthly rate which you payed ahead of the month and you had to give 60 days notification if you were removing your child.  At the begining of the year they published their daily rate (for up to 10 hours - you paid for the day no matter how many hours you used) and then started with 365 days in the year, subtracted the weekend days, subtracted the holidays they were closed, then subtracted 10 "vacation days" (saying that is the average amount of vacation days workers in the area receive).  Then they multiplied the resulting number of days times the daily rate and divided by 12 and that is what you had to pay each month. 

Their rationale is that they are running a business and had expenses they needed to cover each month and were making a committment to be open with staff available to take care of your child so they needed a consistent income to cover their expenses..  There are waitlists for quality daycare where I live so if you didn't like their policy, there was a waitlist of 10 families behind you who were willing to take your spot.   

knoxmomof2
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 8:50 PM
I wouldn't expect them to pay for days I closed (vacation, emergencies). I charge $130/ wk or $35/ day (with a $130 cap) now (is $120/$25 for my first few clients). That child started coming 2 days/wk for a bit. Now it appears we're back to normal, but Summer's coming...

Quoting nomadbrat83: I don't like paying when my child is not there, but I understand and do it. Of course it's been years since my children went to an in-home daycare (they have been at centers for several years). Now if my provider is sick or something and I have to find back up care or take off work then I don't think I should pay. What are you charging?
knoxmomof2
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 8:51 PM
Thanks for the replies!
GhettoKoolAide
by on May. 5, 2015 at 8:51 PM
You're paying for a spot.

Period point blank end of discussion.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)