• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are customers really THAT critical?

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 1:53 PM
  • 28 Replies
In my profession (finance) things are always changing. Federal regulations keep us on our toes and change all the time. Our company is consistently implementing new programs and rolling out new computer systems. Because of all that, we all have materials with procedures, faq's, check lists, best practices, etc... In other words....we have cheat sheets.
We were told by the powers that be to never refer to these materials as "cheat sheets" within earshot of our customer/members. Apparently it sounds bad.
It's no big deal to me. We don't refer to them often anyway and if I do, it's no big deal to call them reference guides or something. With that said, are people really that critical? Especially when they don't do our job and don't know how much we have to keep up with. We do everything from trusts, estates, deposit accounts, loans, taxes, insurance, financial planning, to any other financial service you can think of. No one could possibly do this job without referring to materials at some point. There's just no way. That doesn't even count how much time we spend taking certification tests every year to keep the feds happy.
So...are people really that critical and think employees never use material to ensure they are getting all steps covered?
by on May. 5, 2015 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZamilyMom
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 1:55 PM

I wouldn't give a rat's behind whether or not you used a "cheat sheet" or a "reference guide."  I would rather you use a "cheat sheet" than make a costly mistake!

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on May. 5, 2015 at 1:56 PM
I wouldn't care what you call it but I could maybe see some feeling like you don't know your job well if you're using a "cheat sheet".
ame85
by Chemistry cat on May. 5, 2015 at 1:56 PM
Uh... That's just dumb. People shouldn't get worked up over a simple figure of speech.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 1:58 PM

I think some can be.

At my work, they changed the name of a whole department because of that same sort of reason. 

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:00 PM
People are weird and get pissy over stupid things.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Nobody expects everybody to know everything.  The problem is word cheat sheet.  Sounds incompetent.  The term reference guide just sounds more professional.

januaryqueen
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:02 PM
Usually if we do, it's less about understanding what we are doing and more about trying to remember some change that's been made recently or using an updated computer system. On the occasions that I do use one, I give the member a heads up like "Let me glance at this real quick. They made some changes to how they want this paperwork completed" or "we changed the computer system and I want to make sure I remember this correctly". They're always fine with it.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: I wouldn't care what you call it but I could maybe see some feeling like you don't know your job well if you're using a "cheat sheet".
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:04 PM
I can appreciate a 'cheat sheet' but as a customer, I do appreciate when things are not referred to as slang.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:05 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Now, if someone screwed up and it caused me problems, yeah, I'd probably make a snide remark about consulting your "cheat sheet".

Then again, I can be downright tacky sometimes.
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:05 PM
Someone will always have something to say.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)