Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nurses and jury duty

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
Hey nurses! My friend and I are in deep discussion. If you get called for jury duty, do you have to use vacation days, PTO, or do you get paid just as it was any other day?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Here you can either use your PTO or take unpaid leave to save time wtihout being penalized.  Jury duty pays in my county at $55/day if selected.  It isn't much but it is something. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 2:23 PM
My whole problem with this is you HAVE to go to jury duty. So you shouldn't be penalized. I'm not a nurse and we still get our regular pay. No vacation days or anything.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Here you can either use your PTO or take unpaid leave to save time wtihout being penalized.  Jury duty pays in my county at $55/day if selected.  It isn't much but it is something. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 2:23 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:25 PM
Never been to one so heres a bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:27 PM
Everywhere that I've worked in the past, as a nurse or otherwise, you could use PTO or not. I've only ever had one employer that paid while on jury duty and it was at a lower flat rate (I want to say 75 or 90 a day).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 2:30 PM
Wow..... I just don't get that.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Everywhere that I've worked in the past, as a nurse or otherwise, you could use PTO or not. I've only ever had one employer that paid while on jury duty and it was at a lower flat rate (I want to say 75 or 90 a day).
Seracake
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:32 PM

I would have to use PTO or not get paid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:32 PM
That's a major reason I'm anti jury duty. The PAY CUT. I'd not get paid if I was called to it. The jury pay is a JOKE compared to my salary.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:38 PM
I don't know what pto is as I'm not as nurse but I do know the law says you have to get those days off and you can't be penalized for having them off. They don't have to pay you but they have to let you off.

Interesting that people don't know this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 2:41 PM
Mine too!!!!! I just thought they got paid regular pay.
Or another friend of mine got what the court pay deducted from her paycheck to where it all washed out in the end.

Quoting Anonymous 5: That's a major reason I'm anti jury duty. The PAY CUT. I'd not get paid if I was called to it. The jury pay is a JOKE compared to my salary.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)