Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wedding photography? (Houston, Texas)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

How did you find your wedding photographer? How much did they cost? I have heard that a good wedding photographer usually runs around $3K. If I absolutely must spend that much, I can and I think it's worth it but I'm weary of spending almost half of the amount it has cost for everything else. 

At the same time, everywhere I look has tons of people posing as photographers when they take pictures that look just like mine (and I suck at taking pictures).

Any thoughts? Especially if you're in the Houston area and loved your pics, please share?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
CameraMum
by Anne on May. 5, 2015 at 2:26 PM

How long with the cake last?
Will you wear the dress again?
Photos you will have for a life time, well worth the cost.

There are tons of "wantabe photographers" out there, they are cheap and lack skill (and typically charge rock bottom prices, full wedding for $500) and yes some will look like they took them with their camera phone.  Stay away from those ones, lol.

Look at their profolio/gallery and find a style you like.   I follow Luke&Cat and Joseph Washere out of Houston, I believe their wedding packages start over $4,500+ (not sure, I'm just a photographer groupie, I love their photography style and finished products).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:32 PM
I am a former photographer's assistant.

Yes, it's worth the money. Don't trust anyone without a portfolio and a clear cut contract. Sometimes, certain photographers will offer packages that will trim off the cost and you can get some really great keepsakes. Also, look into buying the digital copies if you'd like to save more money. Digital copies can run $500+, but the photographer is relinquishing their rights to those pictures and giving you the right to do what you please with them. This may or MAY NOT come with post editing, so you would need to be very specific and clear on what you want.

I cannot stress enough the importance of a good contract. If you're going to spend that money, make sure it's a written agreement that is what you will receive. I've heard and seen too many horror stories from couples who accidentally hired a company full of people who were not professionals.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:34 PM
I'd go on the wedding websites, like The Knot, and scour some names. Keep in mind, some photographers have stolen pictures from legit photographers for their portfolios. You want to make sure the are consistently updating their social media because you're less likely to steal and broadcast it to the world.

You can also cut back on the number of photographers covering the event and the time they are there. You can't expect to get 2 photographers for the entire day for $1000. Find out what is included with the package too. 15 years ago the fees were lower but you had to pay for prints. Now you pay other fees and get digital copies. The photographers include retouching on portraits. And some include a nice print album or bound book.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Thank you ladies! This is all very useful information. Keep it coming! I know nothing about weddings or photography and this has all been very overwhelming!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Quoting CameraMum:

How long with the cake last?Will you wear the dress again?Photos you will have for a life time, well worth the cost.There are tons of "wantabe photographers" out there, they are cheap and lack skill (and typically charge rock bottom prices, full wedding for $500) and yes some will look like they took them with their camera phone.  Stay away from those ones, lol.Look at their profolio/gallery and find a style you like.   I follow Luke&Cat and Joseph Washere out of Houston, I believe their wedding packages start over $4,500+ (not sure, I'm just a photographer groupie, I love their photography style and finished products). 

I googled and their photos are stunning. Honestly the first time I've liked what I've seen!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 5:10 PM
Bump for afternoon group!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)