Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

field trip?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies
My DD got a note home at the beginning of last week saying her class would be going on a field trip. The note only said "the field trip will be to ____. Please send money by Friday. Money covers bus and entry fee. No siblings are allowed on the bus. You may bring or buy a lunch. If buying, please send the amount that you normally would."

It didn't say when the field trip would be. All lunches in the district are also free as of this year. And if I was going, I needed to bring the baby. Since it said siblings couldn't come on the bus, I would need to drive. That would mean I wouldn't need to pay bus fees, right (bus is going to another city)?

So I sent a note to the teacher with my questions. I have no other way to contact her. She sent home a note Friday saying the field trip would be on Thurs, that chaperones weren't allowed to bring other kids at all, they would provide lunch to the kids but chaperones must bring their own, and my fee would be the same if I drove myself.

Yesterday I asked about being a ride-along, because I need to bring the baby, but ofc I would drive myself as per the bus policy. As a ride-along, I would get the school rate and be able to stay with the kids as a non-chaperone visitor. I was told that I could meet them there and pay at the door, but I'd be "coincidentally" showing up, not as a ride-along.

But here's the thing - it's double the cost to pay at the door, and the schools get to go to places that aren't open to the public (main reason I wanted to come). I don't even know if I would be allowed back with them.

I've been trying to find the district's policy on field trips and ride alongs, but havent come across any policies at all :/

ETA: I thought this was clear, but I am OK with not being a chaperone. I understand the "no siblings" thing. I think it's just stupid, because a chaperone with the ability to watch one less child is better than none at all (they were begging for some on Fri), but I understand. I just want to be able to go with DD's class as a ride-along (driving myself and the baby) so that I can go into the parts with her that are generally off-limits.

Omg I swear nobody passed reading comprehension.

*update
just called the place, and they said I would not be allowed back with DD unless I was with the school class group.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:29 PM

Sorry, but it sounds like you need to either find a sitter for your baby or not go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:29 PM
My kids have been to a few different schools because we move for my husband's job, and the policy has always been no siblings, even if you drive yourself.
ladyvamp5489
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:30 PM

i know with my kids school, the chaperones are not allowed to bring siblings, you are there to watch the school kids and its hard to do that if you have a baby or toddler with you. If you still want to go then pay the fee they charge or dont go.

lanceandhailey
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the first reply, find a sitter or don't go. No special treatment, rules are rules.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:32 PM
Find a sitter for the baby if you insist on coming
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:32 PM
It sounds rights. chaperones are there to chaperone. As in to help keep an eye on the children and to help the teacher. If you are bringing your other children with you then you are not able to help keep an eye out on the other children. The bus fee is to cover your child riding the bus not you. They also do not have room for siblings on the bus. It sounds like you are only wanting to go to get in to these places for free instead of paying the full price which is kind of crappy if you ask me.
sarah824
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:34 PM

We have NEVER been allowed to bring siblings on a field trip and usually there are only a limited number of chaperone spaces for each trip and you have to put your name in really early to have a chance to go.

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:35 PM
Well chaperones only get the chaperone rate if they are truly free to supervise without the worry of a sibling to watch. I find it fair that you'd pay as any other guest would at the door.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Why do you need to go? I'm sure there will be other parents that will volunteer to chaperone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 5, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Find a sitter for the baby if you want to go on the school field-trip. Otherwise, show up at the door and pay the fee to get in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)